mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Rohloff finally installed and running

I have finally got my Rohloff SpeedHub installed on the bike and have ridden it 5 times. I really am liking it. Wanted to share my initial thoughts about the new bike

1 Weight Gain - I replaced a full XT drive chain. Increased 2.14 lbs, from 30.1 to 32.24. I was careful to change only drivetrain parts. Granted the rear wheel is different, but the difference between the ditchWitch rim and the F219 rim is only about 10grams. I have the TS model of the Speedhub which is the heavist model.

2 Shifting - The shifting is much crisper, in the rear. The rapidfire set up I used before was very sharp at the front, at the shifter pods, and relatively sloppy at the back end. The Rohloff is soft at the shifter and crisp at the rear, where it needs to be. This is taking a little bit to get used to. I may be able to tighten up the shifting with better cables and a little tweaking on the cable tension. Any suggestions would be appricated.

3 Gearing - I am currently running 42/16 which works for 98% of what I have ridden. I have a 38t chainring at the house, somewhere, and would like to get it installed, when I can find the thing.

4 Grip Shift - this is taking a little getting-used-to. I like the rapidfire shifters. The gripshift is fatter that the grips I use. This is causing a little fatigue in the right arm, but I guess I will get used to it. The twisting of the shift puts my wrist in a potentially compromising postion - just have to be careful. What grips are other Rolhoff users using for the short shift-side grip? I just cut off the old grip to lenght, but it has a tendency to move on me. Does anyone make a short lockon grip?

5 Chain - using the same chain as with 9speed. Actually broke an old Shimano chaing and installled the SRAM PC-59 I already had. I have a KMC singlespeed chain, but see the need to incure the additional weight penalty. Thoughts??

6 Shift Timing - I have to adjust the timing of my gear shifts. The old setup liked to be shift just as I was beginning to spin the pedals because the drivechain needed rotation to shift, but now I shift better if I can make the shift just before I start to load the pedals. The first time I rode the new set up was at a local time trial. The 7/8 shift gave me a bit of a problem, but I was really trying to push the time and had not adjusted my shifting technique for the new setup. Since then, I have not had a 7/8 mis-shift that I can recall.

Like I said, I am really liking the new setup. I do not like the ditchwitch rim, it is difficult to change tires, so I think I will go ahead and change it to a F219 rim to match the front. I will changout the cables, and shorten them at the same time.

I am having trouble uploading pics - file size too large - will get pics uploaded later.

Riding a Rig.
    I've been a bit curious about the speedhub... How does it shift under tension like when your going up a hill?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

good

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    I've been a bit curious about the speedhub... How does it shift under tension like when your going up a hill?
    It shifts fine. Actually it shifts better than my XT drivechain did. However, like any setup, it shifts smoother with less load.

Riding a Rig.
    cool. I hope that the price comes down in the future. It just costs way to much at 800.00.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Hey, that's great news! Welcome to the Speedhub fraternity.

Quote Originally Posted by nmcculloch
    1 Weight Gain
    Yeah, that's the bitter pill of the Speedhub. I've always been a firm believer that far too much attention is given to bike weight, but I know I'm on the losing end of that argument and usually keep my mouth shut. If I were an elite racer with seconds to shave, I'd feel different, but a 32 pound bike has never made a ride less enjoyable to me in my current realm of existance.

2 Shifting
    Cable setup is so important: avoiding tight bends, ensuring the inner cable liner isn't crimped (if you're using that stuff Rohloff gave you), and finding that sweet spot between too much and too little tension.

3 Gearing
    You saw my gearing reference chart? I wouldn't mind a little more on the top end, but I like my low granny with my current 36x15 setup.

4 Grip Shift
    I was a Rapidfire fan as well, although I began liking SRAM's pre-SRS Attack shifters for their crispness and precision. I was a little worried about the Rohloff shifters because of their chunkiness, but quickly realized the big benefit of a twist shifter on this system: In theory, I can shift through all 14 gears (or whatever my wrist is capable of twisting) in the blink of an eye, and that wouldn't fly with a trigger setup.

ODI makes their Lock Jaw Rouge and Ruffian grips in half-pipe lengths.

5 Chain - Thoughts??
    I'm using PC59 as well. Wasn't intentional, just had a few on hand and since I'm not using derailleurs anymore... well, the PC59 has been doing fine so I've stuck with it not only on my Speedhub bikes, but on my Shimano Nexus and SRAM Spectro pavement pounders.

6 Shift Timing
    For the first few rides I had trouble with the transition, as did my wife. Even though we're taught not to shift a derailleur system under load, there is no getting around the requirement for at least a 1/3 crank rotation to complete a shift. It's the instantaneous of the Speedhub shifting that impressed me initially. I find that shifting just prior to the top of the pedal stroke works best, although on a real tooth-gritting steep climb I do have to "think about it" to get a clean shift off.

I'm sure you'll work it out on your own -- and the 7/8 thing, too -- and as you pile the miles on the hub you'll notice it getting smoother and easier to shift.

Looking forward to seeing your pics when you get around to posting them.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    nmcculloch, sorry to hijack this thread but I saw that you are looking for a 22.5" NRS frame. I have a '04 NRS 1 frame for sale. If you are interested you can reach me at campotter@yahoo.com.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

pics posted

here are the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

rohloff rich
    Looks nice! Are you going to add something to corral the chain at the chainring? I though I was going to be able to get away without anything up there then did my first race with the bike and derailed three times. I ended up grinding down an old Sh!mano chainring as a custom bashguard and installing an N-gear doohickey (what are they called?) and now I don't have any problems.

here are the pics
    Nature abhors a straight line... but when it comes to cable routing, Speedhubs don't.

I'd try to tidy things up a big. Any bend in that housing increases cable friction which affects shifting action. You can experiment with this by disconnecting the shifter box from the hub, and twisting the twist shifter back and forth while manipulating the detached shifter box to contort the cable into various tight bends. The straighter the run, the lighter the shift action.

If you can't get away from bends, Nokon beads are worth looking into. I've played with Nokons on display stands and they can be twisted into super-tight bends before noting any cable binding.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedí±Ší°Žate
    I'm using PC59 as well. Wasn't intentional, just had a few on hand and since I'm not using derailleurs anymore... well, the PC59 has been doing fine so I've stuck with it not only on my Speedhub bikes, but on my Shimano Nexus and SRAM Spectro pavement pounders.
    On your Nexus and Spectro bikes as well, do you even have have a bike with a derailleur?

Are you derailleur-free for a couple of years?

Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    On your Nexus and Spectro bikes as well, do you even have have a bike with a derailleur?

Are you derailleur-free for a couple of years?
    Yeah, it's kind of cool. I really didn't plan it this way, but I haven't got a single derailleur under the roof to feed and care for. The last one went bye-bye about 16 months ago when I built my wife's Mount Vision.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

not yet

Quote Originally Posted by rs3o
    Looks nice! Are you going to add something to corral the chain at the chainring? I though I was going to be able to get away without anything up there then did my first race with the bike and derailed three times. I ended up grinding down an old Sh!mano chainring as a custom bashguard and installing an N-gear doohickey (what are they called?) and now I don't have any problems.
    I haven't had any problem yet. I wont add any front chain control until necessary. One of the reasons I got away from the old drive chain is to simplify. The chainline look great, I don't anticipate any problems, but will adjust as needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

will tighten up cable routing

[QUOTE=Speedí±Ší°Žate]Nature abhors a straight line... but when it comes to cable routing, Speedhubs don't.

I'd try to tidy things up a big. Any bend in that housing increases cable friction which affects shifting action.

What is the minimum bend radius on the cables? I will change the routing on the cable when I upgrade to stiffer stuff. I am going to drill out the cable bosses to accept full length cable housing at the same time. Have you seen the threads about adding barrel connectors to the shifter end of the cables and removing the adjustment at the shifter box? What do you think of the idea?

What is the minimum bend radius on the cables? I will change the routing on the cable when I upgrade to stiffer stuff. I am going to drill out the cable bosses to accept full length cable housing at the same time. Have you seen the threads about adding barrel connectors to the shifter end of the cables and removing the adjustment at the shifter box? What do you think of the idea?
    I don't know that there is a stated bend radius, but you'll know what's preferred, what's tolerable, and what's acceptable if you unscrew your shifter box and experiment with different cable configutations while rotating the twist shifter.

We were discussing the addition of inline barrel adjusters just a few days ago under another Rohloff thread, specifically to eliminate the adjusters at the external shifter box. I haven't tried it, but supposedly they exist and there's no reason why they wouldn't work. I've never heard any mention of installing barrel adjusters at the twist shifter, but that's another option.

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    Hey Speedüb Nate, how about posting us some more pics of your other bikes without deraillers? Just curious to what and where you are using them...

Thanks, SS Slave

Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSlave
    Hey Speedüb Nate, how about posting us some more pics of your other bikes without deraillers? Just curious to what and where you are using them...
    Ok, but only since you asked ;-p

Of course my favorite, my '03 Iron Horse Hollowpoint (the bike which replaced my NRS from the other photo)...

...and then my 29"er Van Dessel Buzz Bomb Hardtail, which becomes my primary in winter...

...and my street (note: not "road") bike, a Van Dessel Straight Up x7 with Shimano Nexus + coaster brake...

...then my wife's Speedhub equipped '01 Marin Mount Vision...

...and her "cruiser", an '89 or so Rockhopper with a Sram Spectro S7 hub & drum brake.

Last edited by Speedüb Nate; 08-22-2004 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr dismembered
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    Ok, but only since you asked ;-p

NEAT!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

rohloff chainring

Quote Originally Posted by rs3o
    Rohloff makes a chainring quide. Of course its probably pricey too.

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    Nice job, looks like you are using them all over..its all a matter of priorities; you spend extra for the hub and I spend extra for the Maverick fork!

Why does the Buzz Bomb cable routing for the Speedhub look so much cleaner than on the Iron Horse? Different model?

SS Slave

Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSlave
    Why does the Buzz Bomb cable routing for the Speedhub look so much cleaner than on the Iron Horse?
    The cables are along the downtube, under the BB & across the chainstay. It can be routed either way on any of the bikes.