ridin' Mary

Rohloff with disk mounts *requires* the speedbone

My Rohloff wheels arrived without a speedbone, and I spent some time today attempting to mount this using the chainstay torque arm as a temporary installation until the speedbone and OEM2 axel plate arrived.

I was surprised to find out that it is impossible to mount the chainstay torque arm with a disc brake setup. The torque arm only allows 2 settings on the shifter cable housing due to this being installed on the underside of the hub plate. If you try to angle the shifter to point further away from the seat stay, you find you cannot because it will hit the torque arm. The two possible settings for the axel plate point the cables either right along the seat stay, or slightly above. Both of these get bound up in the brake mount.

Speedbone is on order now. I thought this was only an option for a disc brake bike if you wanted to mount it in this manner, but it appears it is indeed a requirement.

ups and downs
    If you happen to have a bike with Rohloff disc ready dropouts the Speedbone is an option, but for all the other disc applications, the Speedbone is indeed needed.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I'm short and sleep which is probably why I'm having trouble with your description, but just to clarify: Are you attempting to route the cables down the seat stay (External shifter UP), or along the chainstay (external shifter down)?

Is the External Shifter Box interfering with the torque arm itself, or the OEM axle plate? Also, have you tried mounting the torque arm to the INSIDE of the axle plate? I'm not sure if this is even possible, but worth investigating.

Lastly, another option sans-Speedbone is the OEM2 axle plate engaged with a bolt through the lower disc tab mount. Of course, this only works when a disc caliper isn't already utilizing the same hole.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

ridin' Mary
    Ok. I'll try to clarify this without pictures. If I need pictures to describe this, then I'll have to take some tonight and post a follow-up. Just let me know.

There are three pieces being discussed.
    1) The external shifter box
    2) The Axel plate (for the traditional torque-arm installation, not the OEM2 version)
    3) The long torque arm that connects to the chainstay.

The external shifter box is permanently part of the hub. The Axel plate bolts on the outboard side of the hub (outside of the shifter box). The directions state that the torque arm is supposed to go on the inside of the axel plate, which means that both the external shifter box and the torque arm are positioned under the axel plate.

I would like to run the cables along the chainstay, but that is impossible. This would require the shifter box and the torque arm to occupy the same space to do this.

So the alternate routing was attempted to route the cables along the seat-stay. To mount the torque-arm, the axel plate has to be pointing directly down towards the ground. The axel plate runs along the chainstay, and unfortunately it extends a little behind the axel plate as well as forward along the chainstay. When you try to position the external shifter box in a way that the cables will route almost directly up so that they route around the disc brake assembly, then the shifter box hits this section of the torque arm that extends to the rear of the bike from the axel plate. So the only way to use this torque arm is to have the external shifter box direct the cables directly along the seat stay or only slightly above the seat stay. Both of these options put the cables directly into the disc brake assembly.

Oh yeah... I tried to mount the torque arm on the *outside* of the axel plate, but this made the torque arm hang out in space about 1/2" away from my chainstay. I could put a serious bend in the torque arm to get it to move back towards the chainsstay, but it seems like it would take quite a dramatic kink to do this.

Confusing enough?

I do need to use the disc brake, as the Mary SS does not have the V-brake mounts. So using another method to occupy the brake mount is not an option.

I do have the speedbone on order, and it should get here by the end of the week. I just wanted to let others know that the torque arm is not an option on a disc-only frame. The speedbone (or alternate usage of the brake mount similar to speedbone) are the only possible means of using a speedhub on a disc-only frame.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Ok, I got it now. That was crystal clear.

Just for the heck of it I'd try bending the torque arm, just to verify that it works.

I've never had to use the torque arm on any of my Speedhub installations, and you'll likely never use yours again, either. But I have seen torque arm installations on other bikes with notable bends in them.

I'd be curious, just as an FYI kind of thing, if these two will play happily with the torque arm outboard of the axle plate.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN