Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

ROHLOFF: Chainring question

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  itsdoable 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm in the process of buying a Rohloff 500/14 db; I have a couple of question I need help with. So Rohloff experts, help me out.

I want to run a 36/16 combo (16 is included, so there it stays) for the steep stuff in the Watsach. I'm currently running an '02 xt drivetrain; I can't find an outer ring at 36, only a middle ring, will this work? I could run a bash guard in the outer ring position if I have to. I'm assuming the chain line would be straighter using the outer ring. What did you guys do?

Anybody use a Kore or Surly tensioner in place of the Rohloff tensioner? I hate the dangely bits.

Also, anybody have a Speedbone they want to sell cheap?

I'm a little nervous about this leap of faith.

Robert

#2 ·
robertange said:
I want to run a 36/16 combo (16 is included, so there it stays) for the steep stuff in the Watsach. I'm currently running an '02 xt drivetrain; I can't find an outer ring at 36, only a middle ring, will this work? I could run a bash guard in the outer ring position if I have to. I'm assuming the chain line would be straighter using the outer ring. What did you guys do?
Using an XT Octalink crankset? Salsa and Blackspire makes non-ramped chainrings in 36T for 4-bolt 104mm cranksets. The Salsa's are named "Chainrings" (not to be confused with their ramped & pinned "Pro Rings" ) and are available from the online QBP sites (aebike.com, hammerheadbikes, etc.) and possibly REI; The Blackspires are either the DH or DS rings and available from Webcyclery.com.

The rings will work in either the outer or middle positions, your choice, however...

...your Speedhub setup uses a 54mm chainline. With a standard 3-ring crankset with a middle ring chainline of 47.5mm, this puts the outer ring in close to perfect alignment with the rear cog. With your Octalink setup, a 113mm BB is what you want. I'm guessing this is what you've got already.

robertange said:
Anybody use a Kore or Surly tensioner in place of the Rohloff tensioner? I hate the dangely bits.
The Rohloff tensioner is a good one - keep it. I suggest you order a new spring for the tensioner if it comes with the old style. The new spring looks like the one in the pictures below and is much more durable and makes tire changes/wheel removal easier due to its quick release catch.

robertange said:
I'm a little nervous about this leap of faith.
Don't be.

#3 ·
Yea, what f*nætik said.

Rohloff does not recomend you go any smaller than a 38t with the 16t cog. I've run a Black Spire 38t ring, works fine on the outer position. I also have a Black Spire bash ring with spacers outboard of that.

The Kore may not have enough chain adjustment, especially if you are puttin it on a F/S frame. The Surly will work, but also has limited range, the Rohloff will be more flexible. I hate the dangly bits too, so I got rid of them.

Cheers,

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.