mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Rockhopper copm disc 29er, ditched big ring...help?

I'm left with a 2x8 with a bash guard, which is what I was going for. My question is this; Can my front derailleur/shifter be locked out of 3rd gear, as to avoid shifting into the bash guard? If there is something I'm missing, please let me know...

Thanks, Kyle

Edit: *Comp* disc 29er, not copm...
    Last edited by noshow; 01-10-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    '10 Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er - gonna ride it til I break it.

Former Bike Wrench
    Yes, use the "H" limit screw to prevent the front derailleur shifting past the middle ring.

mtbr member
    Yes. Find the screw on the front derailleur labeled "H" and screw it in further until the front derailleur no longer shifts past where you want it to stop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    this might be helpful:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technic...t-up-2010.html
    or you could invest in a park tool big blue book

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the help. I wasn't quite sure how the limit screws worked, but I got it figured out. I'm kind of new to mtb and really new to wrenching on bikes. I can fix a car, but vehicles where the engine is the person are different.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I think that if you can work on cars fine, then you will figure out a bike pretty quick. I learned by tearing stuff apart and doing it on my own, using a guide if I got stuck,

Park Tool's website has a lot of great tutorials to help you on most anything you will need in tuning/repairing your bike.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I did see finally find that ParkTool's site thanks to a link on another thread. There's a wealth of info there, as there is here.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by noshow
    I did see finally find that ParkTool's site thanks to a link on another thread. There's a wealth of info there, as there is here.
    There is an old saying when it comes to working on bikes. You can either go to wrench school or pay your dues occasionally breaking something; after 40 years of wrenching on bikes without formal training I'm sure I have paid for a college education using this method. There are three basic rules #1 Use the correct tool, even if you have to build it yourself. #2 There are two ways to destroy a frame; installing a bottom bracket and/or headset, so be extra careful with these. Other than that #3 take your time and if something won't screw in by hand, using a tool will probably cross thread it.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!