Future Rainbow Jersey

Rock Rings and Big Ring Guards

Just curious, this question has been burning me for awhile:

How come no one uses rock rings or big ring protectors anymore? I've used one on my XC ride for years and it literally changed the way I ride. It totally protects your big ring from destruction brought on by rocks and logs. How could no one find that useful? Bashguards are popular today, but only ones that replace the big ring. What's wrong with having a full complement of gears AND to have your big ring protected from the gnarley stuff.

I just bought a new ride along with a few upgrades and I needed a new 4-bolt big ring protector (the one on my old ride is 5-bolt). I bought a 4-bolt Rock Ring (probably from 10 years ago) from ebay and it totally doesn't fit as the bolt configuration is totally whacky. So I'm back out looking for a 4-bolt big ring protector. Blackspire might be literally the only company that still makes this product today and it's mad-expensive (like $35, for what's essentially a round piece of aluminum). I don't understand the lack of interest/lack of production for this incredibly useful product. Just curious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's rather an incorrect sweeping statement...

Quote Originally Posted by ziggurat22
    Just curious, this question has been burning me for awhile:

How come no one uses rock rings or big ring protectors anymore? I've used one on my XC ride for years and it literally changed the way I ride. It totally protects your big ring from destruction brought on by rocks and logs. How could no one find that useful? Bashguards are popular today, but only ones that replace the big ring. What's wrong with having a full complement of gears AND to have your big ring protected from the gnarley stuff.

I just bought a new ride along with a few upgrades and I needed a new 4-bolt big ring protector (the one on my old ride is 5-bolt). I bought a 4-bolt Rock Ring (probably from 10 years ago) from ebay and it totally doesn't fit as the bolt configuration is totally whacky. So I'm back out looking for a 4-bolt big ring protector. Blackspire might be literally the only company that still makes this product today and it's mad-expensive (like $35, for what's essentially a round piece of aluminum). I don't understand the lack of interest/lack of production for this incredibly useful product. Just curious.
    I use a bash ring and I know at least 4 other local riders to my area that use them. I use the kind that replaces the big ring. Maybe you just don't ride with people that use them.

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    I use a bash ring and I know at least 4 other local riders to my area that use them. I use the kind that replaces the big ring. Maybe you just don't ride with people that use them.
    Yeah, the bashguards that replace the big rings are prevailent. I'm talking about the Rock Ring or some such protector that guards all three rings, the big one included. The Rock Ring was the most popular, and then people didn't seem to use them anymore. Blackspire still makes one, but that's about it. I was wondering why having all three rings AND bashguard protecting them is so passe. It just seems like a good idea.

If anyone knows a big ring protector other than Blackspire, let me know.

Thanks.

mechmann_mtb
    i don't know about others, but i found that i never used the big ring. for that matter i never used the small ring either. don't resist the 1X9. come to the dark side.

to be honest, i wouldn't mind having a ring guard like that if i deemed it necessary to have a big ring. decreasing my ground clearance to have a big ring just isn't very likely.

Cereal Killer
    I have a Salsa chainring guard that I'm getting ready to put on mine, and it's made for use with all three rings, as far as I know. I couldn't be wrong though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Its because you save alot of things with 2 x9 + bash

1: Weight
    2:Ground Clearence
    3: You have a shorter chain, so chain tension is better when on the granny
    4:You lose some gear (i don't use my 44 anyways)

''I am running 2 x 9 now, without the bashring , i just puted spacer !

Meh
    I think its because of what has been inferrred in some of the previous posts. I find that generally on the trails I don't need the big ring and a bashguard is more useful when riding rocky, rutted trails. However, we do social rides on roads some nights & the big ring is necessary to keep up speed.

I have the Blackspire big ring protector you have mentioned & it does its job. It does add weight though so I just add it if I'm going to ride where there are lots of ledges or places where "bashing" may happen. I'm too lazy to uses a bashguard in these places as I don't want to be constantly changing my limit screws and chainrings out for the situation.

The big ring protector is the way to go if you really want all 3 rings on at once & protection. Just had to suck up the expense & move on.

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Thanks all for the input. I was just curious. The demise of the big ring protector sounds like an evolutionary thing. Makes sense.