mtbr member
    Sep 2005

rock ring or big ring?

Just wondering how many people out there use a rock ring or other bash gaurd instead of a big ring. Im thinking about buying one because i dont use my big ring much and it ends up just banging off stuff anyway. can you suggest some good bash gaurds that are cheap to, like around $25- $40
    some guys see girl, car, beer
    But i see girl, car, beer, and bike

Over the Hill
    To answer your question, I watched your video and from what I saw was a buff trail....a excellent singlespeed trail. Do you have rocky knar in on your trails that warrent a bash gaurd?

Dean

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm running a Blackspire Ring God right now, with 32/22 rings (gonna go 34/22 at some point). I tried 1x9 but there's too much really steep stuff for that where I ride. Most any alloy bashring will come in around your budget, it's only the fancy CF or Ti stuff that will be over $40 for the most part.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i ditched my bashguard and put the big ring back on. i realized i liked going fast.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, I don't get it. For the same price put on a big ring.

Bash the hell out of it. If you want to use it shift into it, and if it works great. If it doesn't oh well its a bash guard.

I have five big rings sitting on the wall right now.

I like going fast down fire roads.

Some Assembly Required
    I use a bash ring. All of the trails I ride are steep enough that I don't need a big ring, I get more than enough speed just gettin' off of th' brakes.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Yeah, I don't get it. For the same price put on a big ring.

Bash the hell out of it. If you want to use it shift into it, and if it works great. If it doesn't oh well its a bash guard.

I have five big rings sitting on the wall right now.

I like going fast down fire roads.
    Nowhere that I ride offroad allows for big ring riding. Sure I miss those 3 extra gears when I'm on pavement, but the bike is fast enough in 32x11 for the most part.

On the other hand, the extra clearance comes in really handy in the rough stuff (a low BB results in enough pedal/crank strikes as it is, without trying to clear a 44t ring).

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Bash ring. I have a Race Face and it has pseudo teeth that grab logs as you pedal over. Seems to help a little.

Don't miss the big ring at all.

One Gear
    I'd ditch my granny ring before I every thought about dumping my big ring. I don't get the bash ring thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET
    I'd ditch my granny ring before I every thought about dumping my big ring. I don't get the bash ring thing.
    The bash ring math is pretty easy, especially if you've got a lowish BB. There's only 2-3 gear ratios on the big ring that aren't duplicated on the middle ring. If you ride offroad and never go in the 3 smallest cogs offroad while on the big ring, you don't need a big ring (and if you run a 36-38t middle with a wide-ratio cassette, it's more like the smallest 1-2 cogs). And in return you get better clearance when going over obstacles and you don't have to worry about bending the big ring by striking a log.

The same math applies with a granny, especially with an 11-34 cassette. That's why many run a 1x9 setup (I don't, but there's a lot of tight twisty & steep climbs where I ride. I need the granny).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am too lazy to keep high cadence for long time. So I need the big ring to go fast enough where possible. Actually, even combination 44-11 is not always fast enough, I am considering to go 26-36-48 in the front. Clearing obstacles without the big ring getting broken or bent takes some attention, that's all.