mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Road or MTB chain with a 105 cassette?

I have an old XT drivetrain, with a newish XT shadow derailleur.

One of my brake levers is bent (nearly unusable), and I have the one-piece brake-shifter pods. I'm thinking that maybe I could get the bike to run 10-spd if I swap out the shifters for 10-spd shifters and just pick up a pair of cheap brake levers.

Then I could throw on a 10-spd cassette. But rather than a 12-34, I could get a 105 12-25 road cassette, and the bike would have more closely spaced gearing. I don't think I need all that range on the back anyway. And I'll finish it off with a new 10-spd chain.

Here's the question:
    Is there a difference between the 10-spd Shimano road and mtb chains? If so, which one would I want?

As an aside, would my long cage rear derailleur be too long and cause some other sorts of problems?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    from the very 1st post of the stcky above:
    5. 10 speed road chains are different from 10 speed mountain (dyna sys) chains. The dyna sys chain is a directional chain that is made to shift better with 10 speed mountain drivetrains.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hm, it seems like the 9spd derailleur won't work with the 10spd shifter at all.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's too bad. I hate all this backwards incompatibility that the manufacturers like so much. It will be a long time before I go 10 speed.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

mtbr member
    Chains are chains are chains are chains. Shimano says you need a Dynasis chain but folks have been mismatching chains for a while.

Get a 10spd KMC chain and call it a day. Cheap, lasts a long time, shifts better than SRAM, cheap, strong rivets are hard to break, cheap.

If you're running a triple there's hardly a reason to need a 32+ tooth cog in the back. Maybe it's from years of riding SS and 1x9 but a triple with a mid/large range road cassette is better most of the time than a triple with a wide range MTB cassette.