rubbertoes
    Jan 2004

Road Compact on a mountain bike

I would like to replace my cranks but I have a unique problem. I have an older Klein with the pressed in BB w/ square taper. Quality square taper cranks are getting very scarce. I was thinking about some 2005-6 Campagnolo Centaur Compact cranks. I rarely if ever use the granny gear so the 2x9 should be fine. The FD is an XTR which may work with the larger big ring. Any thoughts?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

No Chainring Choices

Campagnolo uses a proprietary bolt pattern so you will have a very limited (and expensive) selection of replacements.

I would suggest Middleburn or Sugino if you have to have new cranks. Otherwise hit eBay. There tons of great square taper cranks floating around there.

I wouldn't worry about f derailleur. Any f derailleur will work if you're using is as a double.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Campagnolo uses a proprietary bolt pattern so you will have a very limited (and expensive) selection of replacements.

they also use a proprietary spindle taper, so their cranks will not fit OP's BB. Agree with Shayne, there still are a number of decent square taper cranks out there, and even more used.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Take at look at the Sugino XD600 at lickbike.com

If you consider the 26/36/46 chainrings close enough to a "road compact". Just don't use the 26.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I would suggest Middleburn or Sugino if you have to have new cranks. Otherwise hit eBay. There tons of great square taper cranks floating around there.

I wouldn't worry about f derailleur. Any f derailleur will work if you're using is as a double.
    Several companies sell chainrings for the bcd pattern of Campy cranks.... and they aren't any more expensive that other aftermarket rings. TA makes nearly any tooth count you could ever want... and they are highquality rings.

Also, Token makes some VERY nice square taper bottom brackets. They are light, strong and affordable. You can get the on Ebay from Professional Cycling Discount. I run a Ti/carbon one on a roadbike (campy) with no issues.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Just Out Of Curiosity

Where can you find non-Campy rings for Campy compact cranks?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Where can you find non-Campy rings for Campy compact cranks?
    Check for any store or site that carries stuff from TA Specialties.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

They're Not On The TA Website

They just have the 135mm Campy rings and regular 110mm rings. They don't have any Campy CT sizes listed.

Also T.A. rings are more expensive than stock Campy 135mm rings in most sizes.

They are great rings and the only option for strange tooth counts though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    They just have the 135mm Campy rings and regular 110mm rings. They don't have any Campy CT sizes listed.

Also T.A. rings are more expensive than stock Campy 135mm rings in most sizes.

They are great rings and the only option for strange tooth counts though.
    Strange, I'm pretty sure I've seen them in person....

Campy rings are very expensive, but TA rings aren't usually that high. For instance, cyclocrossworld has TA outter rings for $50 a ring (135mm bcd). A Campy ring would be much more than that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenk
    Take at look at the Sugino XD600 at lickbike.com

If you consider the 26/36/46 chainrings close enough to a "road compact". Just don't use the 26.
    aebike.com also carries that sugino crank. They are excellent for the price. they've also got some of the older shimano deore in square taper, but it's the 4-arm version.

there's tons of good options in ebay, even NOS stuff.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

- factotum -
    Quote Originally Posted by rubbertoes
    I would like to replace my cranks but I have a unique problem. I have an older Klein with the pressed in BB w/ square taper. Quality square taper cranks are getting very scarce. I was thinking about some 2005-6 Campagnolo Centaur Compact cranks. I rarely if ever use the granny gear so the 2x9 should be fine. The FD is an XTR which may work with the larger big ring. Any thoughts?
    yeah, old thread, I know.

BUT: Campy Centaur Compact crankx (four c words in a row) use 110mm bolt patterns. So there should be no problem finding chainrings.