Gnarbar

Road cassette for DH bike ?

I am running SRAM X9. I am leaning to a road cassette, and believe that the benefits of this are:

• Closer gear ratios for better shifting/laying down of power
    • Lower gearing ratio for DH/gravity fun
    • Lighter ?

Can anyone confirm or expand on these points ?

Thanks in advance.
    White/blue Intense Slopestyle
    Red 2011 Morewood Makulu

Sovereign Cycle | Lama Cycles | Morewood Bikes | Kali Protectives

mtbr member
    May 2007
    a road cassette wont give you any lower of a gear than a wide-range mountain cassette. your highest (lowest teeth) gear is still going to be an 11 or 12. you just won't have the same gear range.

it will give you a tighter/closer gear range, however.

also, i you use an actual road cassette, i wouldn't expect it to last very long, though it would be lighter.

sram does make DH cassettes with the tigher (road-esque?) gearing, but they've got some more chuck to 'em and probably are comparable in weight to a 'normal' 11-34 cassette.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    A road cassette will last just as long as a MTB cassette. Its the same metal, same process, made to handle just as much (or more) torque. The only reason its lighter is (wait for it....)

its got smaller cogs.
    That, and the narrower range of gears means you can run a shorter chain, saving even more weight.

Fact is, the road cassette probably shifts faster and lasts LONGER, because the smaller jumps between gears mean easier (less stressful) chain movement. I'd guess fast shifting is the prime reason to use them in DH racing. Or maybe the shorter chain lets you keep more tension on the deraileur.

And yea, as jcaino said, you won't get any new, "faster" gears to use. You'd just give up the easier ones and get a bunch of closely spaced ones. Which is fine for some applications, and not so great for others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i dont know how much pedaling you do on your DH runs to wear out your cassette faster than a regular MTB cassette.

using a road cassette is kind of standard practice now on most DH race rigs. definitely lighter as your getting rid of the big cogs that you'll probably never use on a run. i have 11-21 SRAM 970 cassette, and i never go lower than my 5th gear.

SRAM does make a DH specific close ratio cassette, but its heavier than it really needs to be.

mtbr member
    One thing to take into consideration... is the loss of chain wrap. Sram admittedly does not have chain wrap. You will lose some of the crispness in the lower gears since the X.9 was designed with a 11-34 in mind.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm View Post
    One thing to take into consideration... is the loss of chain wrap. Sram admittedly does not have chain wrap. You will lose some of the crispness in the lower gears since the X.9 was designed with a 11-34 in mind.
    Can anyone elaborate on this? i found a missing tooth on my 11-34 cassette (8th cog) and thinking of replacing it with SRAM PG970 MTB Downhill Cassette 9sp 11-26. I have a x9 shifter/deraileur. Is this something i should not consider unless i have a matching shifter/deraileur?

ta
    orfeo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What bike and shifters you have? Post this in the Dh selection man they been running road cassettes sense the 80s. Me I just run saint rear 32-11 9 speed. Works flawless and they on sale at crc
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
    Can anyone elaborate on this? i found a missing tooth on my 11-34 cassette (8th cog) and thinking of replacing it with SRAM PG970 MTB Downhill Cassette 9sp 11-26. I have a x9 shifter/deraileur. Is this something i should not consider unless i have a matching shifter/deraileur?

ta
    orfeo
    It'll work just fine. Go for it.