Bike to the Bone...

Road cassete for mtb?

Hey everybody!

I have a spare set of wheels, and I was thinking that I can put some semislick tires on them, and different gear cassette for road riding (I don't doo much, but buying a cassette and a disc is cheaper than a road bike).

My concern is if I could use the smaller cassette and just swap wheels when I think to do different rides. Since it's a smaller size, will the chainline be too affected?

I have a XT rear deraileur now.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hey everybody!

I have a spare set of wheels, and I was thinking that I can put some semislick tires on them, and different gear cassette for road riding (I don't doo much, but buying a cassette and a disc is cheaper than a road bike).

My concern is if I could use the smaller cassette and just swap wheels when I think to do different rides. Since it's a smaller size, will the chainline be too affected?

I have a XT rear deraileur now.
    The chainline won't change because of the cassette, but the chain will be a bit too long with the smaller cog. If the max tooth difference in the back isn't too big, you can probably live with it if your XT is a long-cage der. The longer cage will wrap up the excess chain better. Just watch your gear combos so you don't get a lot of slack. Try it on a stand to see what gears make the chain too slack.

You might see minor chainline changes if the hubs are different, but a small tweak to the der should fix that.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    The chainline won't change because of the cassette, but the chain will be a bit too long with the smaller cog. If the max tooth difference in the back isn't too big, you can probably live with it if your XT is a long-cage der. The longer cage will wrap up the excess chain better. Just watch your gear combos so you don't get a lot of slack. Try it on a stand to see what gears make the chain too slack.

You might see minor chainline changes if the hubs are different, but a small tweak to the der should fix that.

Kathy :^)
    Kathy, thanks for your help.... I think I'll go that way... It will look funny having an 8" front disc on slick tires, but I don't care too much for looks