mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Road bike wanting to put mtb double crank with STI or other suitable brifters.

First post here.
    I'm trying to build a road bike for paved mountain riding. I don't need speed, but need low inch gearing, since I'm getting old. I'd like to get 38-24 double crank, but can accept 38-26. I really love road bike brifters such as STI, but have Campag Reccord 10 and Token brifters. I can live with any brifters, even Sram. I'd like to have trouble free shifting and braking. What system (brand & model) do you suggest?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Almost any crankset will work. Pick one with the gearing you want.

I have been using mtb cranks with road shifters for years.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Plays with tools
    Many of the newer MTB cranks have a wider chain line and might not work with your exsisting FD. But having Campagnolo ergo levers (please don't ever call them brifters) does you a big favor here as they have several clicks in the left shifter, allowing you to work with a wider range of setups. The Campagnolo shifters are my favorite when running triple cranks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for both advices above. I've used STI on converted mountain bike with very good success. However for road bike, I've been warned about chain line. I'm looking at mtb double crank. I won't be looking at speed with triple crank, just low inch to climb. BTW I like the term ergo(nomic) shifter. Nevertheless, I find that you can get STI to get on the large chain wheel if you persist with pressure on the shift(brake) lever.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Road bike wanting to put mtb double crank with STI or other suitable brifters.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinthai View Post
    Thanks for both advices above. I've used STI on converted mountain bike with very good success. However for road bike, I've been warned about chain line. I'm looking at mtb double crank. I won't be looking at speed with triple crank, just low inch to climb. BTW I like the term ergo(nomic) shifter. Nevertheless, I find that you can get STI to get on the large chain wheel if you persist with pressure on the shift(brake) lever.
    Use a mtb triple without the outer ring. The chainline will be about the same as a road double.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Use a mtb triple without the outer ring. The chainline will be about the same as a road double.
    Thanks again for kind advice.