mtbr member
    Apr 2006

road bike components on an mtb frame?

will i have any problems mounting a road bike crank and road bike cassette to an mtb frame? what kind of derailleur would i have to use? thanks.

While you provide no details to work off of (again), generally you can use road components on mountain bikes. Derailleurs are generally universal with the exception of cage length depending on gear range you wish to use. The crank will work although you may need to fiddle with bb spindle length for optimal chainline.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Linoleum Knife
    Road bike bottom brackets only come in 68mm shell width.
    Cassette and rear derailleur will work fine, just make sure you have the correct tooth capacity.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I have experience with...

Quote Originally Posted by Funkdeal
    will i have any problems mounting a road bike crank and road bike cassette to an mtb frame? what kind of derailleur would i have to use? thanks.
    the rear portion of the drivetrain. I've mounted an XT 9sp mtb cassette and XT rear derailleur to a road bike. The shifting/indexing was fine with the Ultegra shifter. I'm sure it will work the other way around as well... as long as both are 9sp (or 8sp).

as far as the road crank, I haven't tried that. I believe you'll have some compatibility issues with spacing (even with triples). check the sheldon brown site, I believe there's a compatibility chart there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    While you provide no details to work off of (again), generally you can use road components on mountain bikes. Derailleurs are generally universal with the exception of cage length depending on gear range you wish to use. The crank will work although you may need to fiddle with bb spindle length for optimal chainline.
    i'm unable to provide more details because i'm brand new to biking and i really have no idea what the hell is going on.... that's why i'm posting a bunch of threads like this. anyhow... thanks for the responses.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkdeal
    i'm unable to provide more details because i'm brand new to biking and i really have no idea what the hell is going on....
    Then why don't you figure out what the hell is going on before trying to do weird **** like putting road cranks on a mountain bike?

Don't touch me!
    Here's some old photos I uploaded a long time ago.
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph...&ppuser=235872

Derailleurs, shifters, and cassettes will play well together when using Shimano junk (as long as they're the same speed).
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I believe the only major restriction between road and mtb drive trains is the size of the big chainring. You'll have to use a road front derailleur to match a big chainring over 46 teeth. Also road FD tend to be bottom swing, bottom pull and which might not match your frame. The RD selection is limited by your rear cassette size and your overall difference between your front chain rings.