mtbr member
    Jul 2006

RF Prodigy XC BB question

Hello all,

I have a Race Face Prodigy XC forged crank set and the bottom bracket spins easy, but there is lots of play up and down, and minor play in and out. Also, years of riding have packed in lots of dirt and everything feels and sounds very gritty (not awful, but not clean).

Is there anything I can do to clean and regrease this? I realize the slop won't be fixed, but I'm hoping to get a bit more life out of it until the new XTR comes out.

Thanks!
    Anthony

No Fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyM
    Hello all,

I have a Race Face Prodigy XC forged crank set and the bottom bracket spins easy, but there is lots of play up and down, and minor play in and out. Also, years of riding have packed in lots of dirt and everything feels and sounds very gritty (not awful, but not clean).

Is there anything I can do to clean and regrease this? I realize the slop won't be fixed, but I'm hoping to get a bit more life out of it until the new XTR comes out.

Thanks!
    Anthony

Hi ,i had the Prodigy XC and DH and i snapped them both the XC seemed good for XC but i was doing drops on them so i blame me for snapping for doing drops the DH shouldent of snapped tho,I think you might need a new BB allready
    Also get a crank extracter and take your crank arms off and see if the tapers are ok,are they Square Taper or ISIS?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the reply.

I already have the arms off, they are ISIS and look ok. I verified it was the spindle that had slop up/down and left/right.

1) I'm not strictly sure if this is a integrated BB, or if the bearings are separate from the spindle like the X-Type. I've gently tapped on the spindle after verifying the problem but it wont budge from the BB.

2) If it is integrated, is it possible to breathe a little bit of new life in it? Are there ways to flush the old junk out and inject new grease/oil?

Regards,
    Anthony

born again
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyM
    Thanks for the reply.

I already have the arms off, they are ISIS and look ok. I verified it was the spindle that had slop up/down and left/right.

1) I'm not strictly sure if this is a integrated BB, or if the bearings are separate from the spindle like the X-Type. I've gently tapped on the spindle after verifying the problem but it wont budge from the BB.

2) If it is integrated, is it possible to breathe a little bit of new life in it? Are there ways to flush the old junk out and inject new grease/oil?

Regards,
    Anthony
    Your bottom bracket is trashed and needs to be replaced. They are sealed and not serviceable. Replacement ISIS BB's are fairly cheap. Depending on your bikes BB shell width you need either a 68X113mm BB or a 73X113mm BB to replace your worn out one.
    It's pretty easy to remove and replace your BB, you need to buy a removal tool for ISIS/Octalink BB's at your LBS to do it.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!