Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RF deus or the shimano 04 XT crankset

891 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pimpbot 
#1 ·
Would you go for the RF deus or the shimano 04 XT crankset.
Off course the XT is cheaper but it's only about 35 gram heavier and it seem to perform very well.

Please advise...

#2 ·
Xt Imho

opticals said:
Would you go for the RF deus or the shimano 04 XT crankset.
Off course the XT is cheaper but it's only about 35 gram heavier and it seem to perform very well.

Please advise...
I just went through a similar decision. I simply did not get warm fuzzies from what I was hearing about the Race Face Deus (based on reading mtbr info). However, it may simply be a function of "publication bias" where in this case, we hear primarily of the negatives so we become biased and think that what is primarily discussed (ie, the negatives in this case) is truth. Nonetheless, it was a little too consistent for my liking. I did not consider XT simply because I did not want XT as I have it already on on my bikes (I know, dumb reason). Having said that, my XT is 2003 and I really am happy with them. I would love to have had the 2004 XT on that bike.

If weight is of concern (and I am also not sure what bike this would be for) there are certainly options. In my case, for what it is worth, I went with the Truvativ Stylo Team cranks with a Ti bottom bracket. I know some people dismiss ISIS stuff I have had not problem on more than one bike that I have ridden/ride very hard and I really am happy with Truvativ (especially on my Bullit). The setup that I mention above is simply 7 grams heavier than the XTR crank set-up if that matters to you.

Cheers and good luck.

#3 ·
Heh....

FoShizzle said:
I just went through a similar decision. I simply did not get warm fuzzies from what I was hearing about the Race Face Deus (based on reading mtbr info). However, it may simply be a function of "publication bias" where in this case, we hear primarily of the negatives so we become biased and think that what is primarily discussed (ie, the negatives in this case) is truth. Nonetheless, it was a little too consistent for my liking. I did not consider XT simply because I did not want XT as I have it already on on my bikes (I know, dumb reason). Having said that, my XT is 2003 and I really am happy with them. I would love to have had the 2004 XT on that bike.

If weight is of concern (and I am also not sure what bike this would be for) there are certainly options. In my case, for what it is worth, I went with the Truvativ Stylo Team cranks with a Ti bottom bracket. I know some people dismiss ISIS stuff I have had not problem on more than one bike that I have ridden/ride very hard and I really am happy with Truvativ (especially on my Bullit). The setup that I mention above is simply 7 grams heavier than the XTR crank set-up if that matters to you.

Cheers and good luck.
I just put sone Bonti ISIS cranks on an FSA Ti bottom brakcet on my singlespeed, and got about 40 miles of use before bearing slop developed. Granted, I got the BB second hand as a freebie with a frame, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence in the setup with me. It was but t tight when I got it. I was told it had super low miles on it, but really... who knows for sure?

I'm gonna slap on one more low-rent ISIS BB on it before I totally give up on ISIS.

My '03 XTs have around 1800 miles, and are still silky smooth and tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.