mtbr member
    Sep 2004

RF deus crank install question (X-type)

When turning the 8mm crank bolt, should I try to bottom it out? In the instructions, it says I should hit a hard stop, and know when to stop, then I turn the 10mm end cap on it to snug it up. When doing this, if I tighten the 8mm all the way, it makes the cranks really tight. If I loosen it by about 1-2 turns, then it's great. What should I do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    sounds like either you have too many spacers in the bottom bracket, making it too wide. -OR- you forgot to put in one of the washers on the drive side. You need to tighten the bolts untill they hit a stop otherwise your cranks are going to wobble.
    www.mudrider.blogspot.com

Chrome Toaster
    That means you either have the spacers set wrong,the BB shell length is off and needs to be faced down or you need to go to the thinner 2.5mm elastomer supplied with the cranks instead of the stock 3.5mm one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I just installed them on a Racer-X. I noticed on some posts on the Titus forum that the BB shells were 74mm wide, out of spec from the 73mm that they're supposed to be. I did not measure mine when I started, but I have to assume that this is what's causing the problem. I know I have the spacers right. So the next step would be to face the shell. Do I want to face material so that the bb shell is perfectly centered (or as close to it as possible), or do I want to remove material from a specific side? Thanks.

Chrome Toaster
    Just get a ruler and measure the length on the shell. You can do that with the cranks installed. Try going to the shorter elastomer. If you face it, it should be centered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    For the spacers on the crank, what's the difference between the red and the black ones?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

update

Just to give an update for those who are interested...

I had the BB shell faced down to 73mm. It was at 73.8mm. After doing that, everything runs like a charm. I guess I should have known that since the cranks are a press fit, the BB shell is a critical if you want to use the recommended spacers. Thanks for all your help.