mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New question here. RF Deus Chain Ring Bolt Torque?

Appreciate it if someone could tell me how tight (inch pound) I'm supposed to tighten RF Deus chain ring bolts that hold chain rings together? I don't seem to be able to find it in their web site... Also, are these bolts made of AL? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Shimano says to use 75-90 inch-lbs, the bolts used are the same as those used by RaceFace.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    Shimano says to use 75-90 inch-lbs, the bolts used are the same as those used by RaceFace.
    I think the above is wrong. Travativ recommend 6 - 6.6 ft/lbs for aluminum and 8.9 - 10.3 ft/lb for steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SSteve F; 01-09-2006 at 07:24 PM.
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Also, are these bolts made of AL? Thanks in advance!
    Just use a magnet to see if the bolts are steel or aluminum. The magent should stick to the steel bolts (as it is just a cheaper ferritic grade of stainless steel they use) but won't stick to aluminum. Also, the aluminum bolts only weigh 1/3 as much as steel bolts so it should be obvious when you pick them up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F
    I think the above is wrong. Travativ recommend 6 - 6.6 ft/lbs for aluminum and 8.9 - 10.3 ft/lb for steel.
    What I gave is the correct answer, hatake asked for the torque in inch-lbs which is what I gave him you gave him the torque in ft-lbs.

One a side note, 75-90 inch-lbs is 6.26-7.5 ft-lbs. However, ft-lbs is a useless number when the torque is this low since most torque wrenches which measure this low of a value would use a inch-lb scale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks Gearhead, you gave me all the answer I wanted. I could use foot pound, but I wasn't sure if I could trust the reading on it with the foot-pound increment. Yeah, I'll use a magnet (I forgot about that ).

My bike started creaking a bit when I pedaled. Did some trail test and determined it was the drive train, not pivots or headset. So the first thing I checked was how tight the chainring bolts were. They were, surprisingly, loose - my guess was about 30~40 inch. It felt like I was going to strip it when I tightened it a little. Now I know. Thanks guys.