mtbr member
    May 2007

RF Atlas Noise! Help!

I need help! I have a RF Atlas. There is a click in the bottom bracket. i have replaced the bearings with Phil wood. The bearings were shot, but there is still a clicking noise in the BB. Does anyone have some suggestions. I am willing to buy a new BB if it solves the problem. Can a XTR BB be used with a Atlas crank assembly? will it solve anything?
    Are the Isis drives better? I have never had problems like I have had with this crank set. I am almost to buying a new crank.

ups and downs
    Have you checked the chainring bolts? I'm always amazed at the type of noises that chainring bolts can make if they're a bit loose. And pedals of course.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Took whole crank apart, cleaned, never seized, tightened all bolts, replaced pedals with syncros mags.....replaced bearings with Phil Wood

mtbr member
    did you grease any of the above.

are the bearings straight was the frame chased and faced.

and you aint gonna believe this take your seatpost out and give it another ride,dont sit down by the way.

problem is aluminum amplifies every sound so check seat and post also.

did you grease your seat post.

Ride or die
    I agree with konut. The seat and post can make noises that sound like they are coming from the BB. I just had a creak that I was sure was coming from my linkage bearings. But in reality it was coming from my Thompson Elite rail clamp.

Also cable feruls can make noise in their housings, especially if they are the old style metal ones.

Another quick question, is the click rhythmic? Does it happen the same time every pedal stroke, or is it intermitent, happening once in a while, on bumps or sprints, etc? If it's not rhythmic its chances of being caused by a drivetrain issue really drop.

whistler
    Mar 2004

raceface external cranksets...

...are a pain in the a$$ to set up. make sure you have the proper # of spacers on the spindle to allow the driveside crank to bottom out completely on the spindle without any play (too few spacers) or drag (too many). also, raceface, shimano, and fsa external bb's are all the same size and are interchangeable. shimano's last the longest - they are sealed better and use better grease in the bearings. you can put all kinds of fancy bearings (phil wood, enduro) in your raceface shell, but they are still sealed poorly and won't last in wet riding. get a shimano bb. lastly, its critical that your bb shell is faced properly - it likely isn't unless its a high-end frame. i don't know what your clicking is though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the input. It is a turner. The frame is cool. I already got the Phil wood, If this clicking doesn't stop I am warrantying this crank. I have done every thing you are suggesting, except putting a shimano in there. That is the next step.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is unlikely that your crank is the source of the click. In addition to checking the things others have mentioned, check:

pedals
    frame pivot bearings (probably shot if your bb is)
    shock bushings (probably shot if your bb is)
    All suspension linkage bolts - one slightly loose bolt will do it
    Headset - clean lube adjust

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It was the crank. It is being replaced.