Mulleticious

New question here. Retro-fitting SRAM X0 drivetrain to replacement 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon frame

I have a replacement 2011 Stumpy FSR Pro Carbon frame, but with all the old 2008 SJ Pro Carbon components fitted. (Frame was a warranty replacement and LBS swapped all components from the old 2008 bike with busted frame).

I want to fit out the new frame with the new SRAM X0 drive train (2x10 configuration) that would normally come with the new 2011 Pro Carbon Stumpy FSR. I'm having trouble figuring out what I need to buy though, specifically the following:

1. The bottom bracket I need is listed on the Spesh site as a Custom SRAM GPX 84.5mm. I can't find any BB online that is specified with the 84.5mm dimension. I can find 68, 73 and 83mm only. I don't want to use an adaptor as I already have one and that will defeat the purpose (which is partly to shed weight).

Any idea where I can get the correct BB?

2. I can understand how with the 2x10 set up I will have to also replace front and back derailleurs, cassette and chain, but do I need to change the SRAM X0 shifters I already have (but which came with the 3x9 set up on the 2008 bike)?

Any suggestions appreciated - thanks.

Mulleticious
    Bump.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    To switch from 3x9 to 2x10, you will need to swap your shifters as well. In addition to needing another "click" on the rear derailleur, the 10 speed Sram stuff uses a different pull ratio than the 9 speed stuff.

As far as the BB goes, did you ask your LBS/Specialized dealer? I'm betting you'll need to order the BB through a Specialized dealer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi spencerfrater1,

Did you manage to get the X0 crankset to work? I have the same frame with OSBB (84.5) and want to run the X0 1x10 DH crankset as I only want to run one ring.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Massey75 View Post
    Hi spencerfrater1,

Did you manage to get the X0 crankset to work? I have the same frame with OSBB (84.5) and want to run the X0 1x10 DH crankset as I only want to run one ring.
    I never bothered in the end - still running the original 3x9 drivetrain and shifters with the BB adapter. If you really want to do this, your Spesh dealer can apparently organise the right bits from Specialized for you. Let me know how it works

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi Spencerfrater1,

Well here is the update - it works. Now running an X0 GXP crankset (as 1x10) on my Specialized Sworks Stumpy with OSBB . I used a C-Bear ceramic BB. These guys/girls are really helpful. (C-BEAR.COM) Runs really well. I did have to add spacer on the chainring to get a good chainline. It was really worth the time working it all out.

Enjoy life - ride fast!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Massey, thakn for your support. We have opened a US sales office this week, so that puts an end to long shipping times. I will be available via email or on this forum if you have any questions.

drop me a line at ]ard at c-bearusa.com and let me know what you think of our GXP bottom bracket.