Poacher
    Sep 2010

Repost from TURNER Section of Forums

Front derailler is way too high above big chainring, should be 1 or 3 mm. Any suggestions? Seat tube welds are in the way, and filing derailler clamp will not get me to where I want to be. Repost from TURNER Section of Forums-image.jpgRepost from TURNER Section of Forums-image.jpg

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Chain only comes off in high speed super rough sections (Downieville once or twice per run, confluence in Auburn etc ). Most of the time the chain stays on. Limit screws are set correctly, just too big a gap for the rough stuff. A downhiller person would go nuts with this situation, for me as Cross country rider, it is just occasionally annoying. Suggestions?

Plays with tools
    Are you running a clutch style RD? that should make a sizeable difference. Other option is a bashguard which should work really well.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Oh my god, that is so obvious! Either one would probably deal with the issue! I knew I was over thinking it. Funny, how new perspective can help, thanks. Now I feel like it is easy fix for some money. Lets see what else comes up. I vote for SAINT derailler with clutch! Thanks.

Plays with tools
    Saint is overkill for a XC bike, might look to the more XC oriented options.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Saint for the spring tension, not durability.

usually cranky
    may be wrong but i think any shimano clutch rd will have the same spring tension.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you are dropping chain, then it is most likely not because high mech. As it was already mentioned:

- short / medium cage mech. Your front chainrings are so close, that short cage should work.
    - lower roller chain device
    - clutch mech

use all of above for extra protection.

Saint is an overkill meant to boost your ego. Use SLX or ZEE.

BTW - shouldn't you be using e-type mech on a Turner? That seattube looks like pathologically front mech incompatible.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post

BTW - shouldn't you be using e-type mech on a Turner? That seattube looks like pathologically front mech incompatible.
    That FD is in about the right spot if he had a typical big ring. Since his big ring is only a 34, he's running into problems. That FD really doesn't need to be any lower. For all we know a 1/2 turn on his high limit screw could be all it takes to solve his problem.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Repost from TURNER Section of Forums

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    That FD is in about the right spot if he had a typical big ring. Since his big ring is only a 34, he's running into problems. That FD really doesn't need to be any lower. For all we know a 1/2 turn on his high limit screw could be all it takes to solve his problem.
    Plus the inner cage needs to clear the small ring.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That FD seems to be a double specific. Also note, that his middle ring is rather large ( 26T it seems ) and yet the chain is almost at the limit of the cage. Judging from the proxmity of the rear tyre the chain is at the large cassette cogs.

This mech is too high.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Custom fab, you are exactly correct. The old 38 ring was 2 mm away from derailler. Never dropped chain, ever. Problem started with new 34 ring. Limit screw is where it needs to be, to get into big ring. Uzupator, yes, 2 by 10 mech. Also, I am hoping an E type is the solution of choice. Any experience with durability of E type? Looks flimsy? I am going to try to test fit one next sat ( and call Turner tomorrow). Thanks all. Keep it coming, and I will, update as I go.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    3 hrs at Annadel today, completely trashed right crank arm from 2 chain drops. Does not really bother me, bike looks sweet anyway

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Clang! About 10 rides with new 34 ring

Repost from TURNER Section of Forums-image.jpg

Poacher
    Sep 2010

New direct mount derailleur, and adapter for mounting to seat tube.

Repost from TURNER Section of Forums-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	819175
    Care to share your Direct FD and adapter design? just plain genius....!

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Justin at Wrench Science ordered parts. It's just a XT Direct Mount front Derailleur. FD M786D. The D is direct mount. The adapter is from Problem Solvers Derailleur Adapter, look up on Google, as they have different sizes for various seat tube diameters, and BB widths. This combo allowed me to lower front mech below the frame welds (see first picture in this thread), finally locating outside guide plate 1 mm above large chainring. Ultimately, I was able to set this 15 mm lower than normal front derailler. If you need more downward adjustability, you could even dremmel the bolt hole another 1 or 2 mm.
    Last edited by hoolie; 07-26-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    By the way, I like most of the ideas above, from fellow MTBR's. thanks again, and it was great to have a few solutions to choose from. The winner is......Bashguard. Thanks customfab, that is what I would have done if adapter/direct mount had failed. Oh, and since I have the sickness, I bought a clutch rear derailleur anyway! Sick. Really should have used that money for retirement savings.