mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Replacment Bearings For Race Face X-TypeBB

Was looking for the same bearing or better bearings for my Deus BB. My bearing seized up it say 6805 LLU MAx on it. Has any one changed them out and if so what bearings did you use? Thanks

Chrome Toaster
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=136309

I suggest you try this first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Great instructions but tried that already and are still seized. I also took the bearing out and soaked it and relubed it and are still hard to turn. Cheap bearings

Chrome Toaster
    I've heard people mention Phil Wood bearings for these bottom brackets. Try doing a search for that. I would probably just buy a replacement BB and this time just flush out the crappy factory grease from the start and use my own. The grease Race Face uses is IMO rather crappy and seems to dissolve in water WAAAYY too easily. Another problem is the bearings they use are crammed with balls which leaves nearly no room for grease. I noticed the Shimano ones use a ball holder cage which means it has about half as many balls as the race face bearing. The advantage I found is that the gaps between the balls serve as a kind of reservoir for extra grease so they last longer without any service.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by promtber
    Was looking for the same bearing or better bearings for my Deus BB. My bearing seized up it say 6805 LLU MAx on it. Has any one changed them out and if so what bearings did you use? Thanks
    There was a thread on this earlier but i can't find it. Guy had a link to his website with the differences between Shimano and RF bearings.

What RF did was use "Max" bearings meaning extra balls in there that make the whole bearing withstand higher static loads but at the expensive of less lubricant in there. Shimano went with standard bearings and the writer thought this was better way to go. I am speculating that the "6805" indicates size, if you got caliper maybe you can measure to confirm that they are 25mm ID x 37mm OD x 7mm W

Cheap source. This site has them ranging from $13 to $25, they also have "max" bearings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I think this is what you are searching for ;)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I went with Phil Woods Bearing a little bit expenseive $23 each but sure will last long. I am for sure wont buy another Race Face product again. They would not even help me out with my problem. There answer was buy a whole new BB. So I can have the same problem over and over again. Its not like my BB was 2 yrs old. Only had 20 rides on it and all I was asking for was one of their cheap bearings. I think they need to do more R&D before releasing a new product. I will let you all know how the Phil Wood Bearigs install and work. Thanks for all the help