mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Replacing the whole Drivetrain

I'm looking at buying a used '07 Trek 8500. However, it's a somewhat bare bike. It's missing nearly the entire drivetrain, including cranks and shifters. It does have the front XT derailleur, though. It's also missing brakes and levers. I'm thinking something in the range of LX/XT parts, and Juicy 5s for brakes. I'm just trying to figure out about how much that'll run me. I want to figure out if it's worth getting the bike and rebuilding it. Any ideas how much a build like this would run?
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Since you sort of have figured out the components you want, why don't you write out a shopping list and go down the list at one or two major internet stores?

If it's coming up higher than you want to spend you'll have alternative items right in front of you to consider as alternatives.

One thing i can say is that as you get close to replacing half a bike, it might come out cheaper to start fresh with a now bike altogether.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not quite sure what online stores have Shimano/SRAM. I went to their sites directly, but of course they don't give a MSRP.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    pricepoint.com. jensenusa chainreaction, etc, etc

mtbr member
    check out pricepoint for Sram X9 components. Blueskycycling has great deals on Shimano.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRider08
    I'm looking at buying a used '07 Trek 8500. However, it's a somewhat bare bike. It's missing nearly the entire drivetrain, including cranks and shifters. It does have the front XT derailleur, though. It's also missing brakes and levers. I'm thinking something in the range of LX/XT parts, and Juicy 5s for brakes. I'm just trying to figure out about how much that'll run me. I want to figure out if it's worth getting the bike and rebuilding it. Any ideas how much a build like this would run?

Wanna bet there is a reason there is no drive train on the bike, like the frame is ****ed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not quite sure what online stores have Shimano/SRAM. I went to their sites directly, but of course they don't give a MSRP.
    Go here http://comparisonpricing.com/

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Pretty much ANY major online retailer sells SRAM and Shimano components. There are ads for them all over this site.

I agree with FBinNY, though. In the long run a new bike may be cheaper.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Wanna bet there is a reason there is no drive train on the bike, like the frame is ****ed.
    Other than the bike being 3 years old....... and probably some worn stuff on it. I'd do it if I was the original owner and really really loved the bike.....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo