Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7

    Replacing a trigger shifter

    I own an 05 giant stp 2. It has the integrated rapidfire shifters and brake levers. I need to replace th shifter, it is falling apart. I am going to be upgrading to disc brakes and will have independent brake levers, so what shifter will work with this bike? It has an 8speed cassete and a alivio rear derailleur, I plan on removing the front one, so I need one that will work with the alivio for the time being or until the rear derailleur breaks.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,123
    Quote Originally Posted by hbstriker
    I own an 05 giant stp 2. It has the integrated rapidfire shifters and brake levers. I need to replace th shifter, it is falling apart. I am going to be upgrading to disc brakes and will have independent brake levers, so what shifter will work with this bike? It has an 8speed cassete and a alivio rear derailleur, I plan on removing the front one, so I need one that will work with the alivio for the time being or until the rear derailleur breaks.

    Thanks
    I reccomend the alivio rapidfire shifter!



    I have used them a great deal without problems. Durable, easy to use, easy to adjust, good match for alivio RD.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I reccomend the alivio rapidfire shifter!



    I have used them a great deal without problems. Durable, easy to use, easy to adjust, good match for alivio RD.

    I have a 8 speed rear cassete, can i run a 9 spd shifter? It really makes no difference to me, but there are more 9spd option on ebay and everywhere i have looked.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    JmZ
    JmZ is offline
    Reformed Lurker
    Reputation: JmZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by hbstriker
    I have a 8 speed rear cassete, can i run a 9 spd shifter? It really makes no difference to me, but there are more 9spd option on ebay and everywhere i have looked.

    Thanks
    To make a 9 speed shifter work you will need...

    9 speed shifter
    9 speed cassette
    9 speed chain

    Minimum.

    The 8 speed stuff is out there, but it does require a little more looking simply because not everyone is looking for stuff under the LX level. Any competent local bike shop should be able to help you, or www.bikeman.com or www.aebike.com should be able to help otherwise.

    The reason the 9 speed stuff doesn't work is the cassette spacing is different between 8 and 9 speed. They both fit on the same size hub, so 9 speeds squash an extra gear in there requiring everything to be closer together.

    Good luck,

    JmZ
    JmZ

    From one flat land to another.

    Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7
    Now what about the SRAM 8spd shifters that are supposed to be compatible with shimano derailleurs? Will those work?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,310
    Quote Originally Posted by hbstriker
    Now what about the SRAM 8spd shifters that are supposed to be compatible with shimano derailleurs? Will those work?

    Thanks
    Yes but it will be a grip shifter not a trigger. If you don't mind the grip shifter it should be a cheap easy soloution.

  7. #7
    JmZ
    JmZ is offline
    Reformed Lurker
    Reputation: JmZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Yes but it will be a grip shifter not a trigger. If you don't mind the grip shifter it should be a cheap easy soloution.
    Almost.

    The TRX and Attack triggers are available in 8 speed. Take a look at www.sram.com

    JmZ
    JmZ

    From one flat land to another.

    Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

  8. #8
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,310
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Almost.

    The TRX and Attack triggers are available in 8 speed. Take a look at www.sram.com

    JmZ

    I didn't know about that. Those look awesome. A major manufactor like specialized, trek or cannondale needs to make a stand and spec their whole line with 8 spd. They would be toasted as a rebel genius in the bike mags. It would sell alot of bikes and maybe the whole industry could go back to 8spd. 8spd rocks

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: standard235's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,556
    I don't care about having a load of gears, I want a 1X9 setup, but there's no high end 8 spd things....


    Back to dreaming.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •