Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Replacing shifters and derailleur...what tools will i need?

890 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  FrankinMich 
#1 ·
Ok, i decided to replace my shifters and rear derailleur. Got some advice from a person on here and I tried cleaning mine and nothing happened, still has issues. Chain is in great shape, everything is good and clean. Also, I think my rear derailleur is bent, i cant really tell, but the problem happens only at a certain point when the derailleur is moving outward. It will not go any further.
I have read that when a rapid fire shifter is acting like mine is, to replace it. My friend said he can get a really good deal on SRAM X.9 shifters and rear derailleur for 110.00....cheaper than what i have found so he is picking it up for me. I have the Zinn mountain biking book coming and am wanting to know what tools and or spare parts that i will or should have for the job. I want to have the tools by the time i get my manual in. My cables seem to be fine, no frays or anything...Can someone give me some info. Thanks

Mike

#3 ·
The Zinn book has a nice section on what tools for what jobs, or what level of workshop you want to have.

Another thing that's nice to have for this job is an awl to poke the ends of the housing with, after cutting, to reopen the plastic tubing inside.

#4 ·
A couple of metric hex keys.
I think the adjustment screws on the derailer are for some ordinary screwdrivers. Don't remember what sort of a bolt is used to fix the cables to the derailers. Check the SRAM (Avid) website: they have pretty good instructions there.

New cables are a good idea anyway. You need a way to cut the cable and housing cleanly.

Check that your derailer hanger is not bent.

#5 ·
Thanks for input

I am actually looking forward to doing the job myself. I had heard that ZINN had really good instructions in it. I just wanted to try to get the tools here about the same time the book got here so i didnt have to wait another week for the tools. I live pretty remote so cant just go to the local shop for things. Trying to make sure i have everything for the job. Thanks again....

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.