mtbr member
    Jun 2007

replacing shifters

I am about to replace the shifter on my bike from gripshift to rapidfire. My question is about teh new cables i will use and will i ahve to do anything to them to stop them from stretching? do i have to adjsut them after a little use? or will they not stretch at all. Any other tips would be helpful too. I am using rear XTR rapid rise 9spd, XTR front and the new shifters are XT M791 rapidfire

neutiquam erro
    Yes, new cables will stretch a bit - even if they are "pre-stretched". If you do the installation and initial tuning right, the tiny bit of stretching that occurs can easily be handled with your shifter and/or RD barrel adjusters.

You'll be able to tell when they stretch and settle when you shifting just isn't as crisp. Use your barrel adjusters to tighten the tension (one click or ~1/4 turn at a time - don't overtighten!), and you'll be all set.

Follow the directions carefully doing the initial installation and set-up. A majority of shifting problems are the simply result of a sloppy installation or initial tuning, not a problem with the equipment.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks for the response.. do you or anyone else thats reads this know when a cable stretcher is used and if that would help me here.

neutiquam erro
    If you are talking about this cat, it's not really so much of a "stretcher" per se - it's really more of a way to maintain the intended tightness of the cable as you tighten it down. I have one and it works fine, but it's not really at all necessary. Most of the time, I forget to use it when I string cables and I still manage just fine, so that tells you about how useful it generally is.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    When your first install the shifters with the new cable, attach the cable and activate the shifter a few times. This will get the initial stretch for you. Then loosen the cable, pull the bit of slack the occured and retighten. Your good to tune up now.

After that you should get minimal stretch over time. The barrel adjuster at the shifter will handle and little stretch you get.