mtbr member

Replacing MY XT BB with soemthign better

Ok so I have a XT M760 Hollowtech II Chainset which came with a BB. It seems like the thread on the BB has gone for some reason so i guess time to replace it. I have not been that impressed with the XT BB anyway so i have been wondering what are the possible replacements possibility's. Who makes compatible BB's. the XT's have the BB axle built in so all I need in the cups.

For example would this work?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...ID=5360018765?

Any recommendations.. all the reviews on BB's I see seem to be negative .. lol they cant all be bad.. lol

Any help appreciated

PS would I have a case for a warranty on the BB.. only had it for 3 months? What are Shimano like on that sort of stuff?
    Last edited by Karve; 06-30-2007 at 04:49 PM.

whistler
    Mar 2004

bb advice/rant

bb's take a lot of abuse. if you ride in the wet a lot (like we do in squamish/whistler/north van) or if you hose your bike off and spray directly at the bb cups, your bearings may only last a couple months. i know that raceface and shimano external bb's are interchangable. in fact, some of us run our raceface atlas cranks in a shimano xt bb because raceface bb's are horrible. i'm not sure if truvativ or fsa are compatible too.

in general, i'm thoroughly unimpressed with the whole external bb thing and much prefer isis - less drag, longer bb life, simple installation. the difference in perceived "stiffness" is minimal - there's far more flex in the cranks and chainstays/pivots (unless you ride a knolly ) than the bb.

i've tried many different bb's from shimano, raceface, truvativ, and fsa over the years and there honestly isn't a huge difference. i think of my bb like i do my chain and rings/cassette - it will wear out and need replacement sooner than later. ride them into the ground, then get a new one.

anyone know if a truvativ or fsa external bb is compatible with shimano cranks?

mtbr member
    Check out these puppies :
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id180.html

My Truvativ stylo bearings sized up after a few weeks. I replaced the entire crank with an XTR M970 but in the meantime, I'll probably get a set of Enduro's to replace the Truvativ's.

JEA
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    According to my knowledge, these bearings should fit the XT BB
    http://www.skf.com/skf/productcatalo...did=1010281805

whistler
    Mar 2004

enduro bearings

enduro bearings weren't any better for me. i'm sure they're higher quality, but 2 different sets still only lasted a couple months each in my atlas bb (after going through 3 sets of stock bearings on warranty). yes, obviously there's a seal issue. of course, since going back to isis, things have been fine. external bb's just plain suck.