mtbr member
    Aug 2004

replacing crankset

hello folks! excuse my ignorance, but i need to replace the crankset on my hardrock pro (i believe it's an 04) and i'm not sure what'll fit. i've got the original truvativ FiveD in there right now. the bike is 24spd. i'd like to find a hefty set (possibly w/bash guard instead of third row of teeth) for under 200...

i've been looking through the reviews for crankset, but i have no idea which ones will actually work for my bike.

any help will be appreciated (i can't ride right now without retightening the left arm every 20 minutes or so),

alex

mtbr member
    http://www.webcyclery.com/pages.php?pageid=12
    http://www.webcyclery.com/pages.php?pageid=9

Wondering what crank will fit is more a matter of what bottom bracket you have then what bike you have. Here is a couple of links that will help you get your research going. Looks like you have a square taper crank that probably got rounded out when it came loose and now will not stay tight. The good news is that since the bottom bracket is usually a harder medal then the crank your bottom bracket should be fine. There are not as many square taper cranks as there used to be, but they can still be found. Pretty much any mountain bike crank that is square tapered will work on your bike. Sounds like you are relatively new to this and your best bet is to take your bike to a local shop for help. Ask around for a good one or take your bike back to where you got it if you like the people there. Usually a bike shop will give a discount on labor for parts you buy from them or do things for free if you bought the bike from them. However if you bring in a part that you got off the internet they are going to charge you as much as then can. Also it will make them not as helpful when you need help in the future.
    Hope that helps. Good luck
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    thanks for the info and advice bridgestone - you're exactly right, the square taper crank did get rounded. but the bottom bracket (i'm assuming that's the piece the arms screw into) looks like it may be very slightly warped as well (i was thinking this piece came with the crankset - guess not).

i think what i'll do is just replace the bottome bracket as well (with an ISIS - thanks for the links!). so my two main questions right now are:

1) do i need to match the size/teeth that i currently have on the bike (22/32 -teeth)
    2) will any bottom bracket fit my bike, or do i need to look for something in particular

i'm big on DIY (house/cars) so i'll be trying this myself as well, but i do appreciate your advice,

alex

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    can anyone tell me if this combination will work for my bike:

Truvativ Giga Team DH 68/73 X 118mm

with a

'04 Race Face Evolve DH Crankset, 175mm, ISIS, with BASH/32/22

thanks,
    alex

Your bike likely has a 68mm bb shell, maybe a 73mm. It's easy to measure, just measure the width of the shell with a ruler. It's one thing to have an older square taper crankset and keep finding bb's for it, but if the cranks are toast you're better off looking at a newer external bb type crankset. I'd recommend you stay away from Isis, not worth the headaches (small bearings in the bb's have tended to mean frequent replacement).

The Shimano LX or Hone external bearing cranksets would work well for you and meet your budget. If you really want a traditional cartridge bearing bb use the octalink type, better bb life and there are some great closeout deals on some recently. The external bearing types are becoming the norm so you may as well go with the latest and greatest if you're buying a new set.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    isn't it true that the isis setup is more universal, whereas if you go with the shimano BB you'll need shimano cranks as well?

The devil is an angel too
    Quote Originally Posted by amm888
    isn't it true that the isis setup is more universal, whereas if you go with the shimano BB you'll need shimano cranks as well?
    Yes, no, to a certain extent.

ISIS is an open standard, and there are (were?) cranks made for ISIS BB's by RaceFace, Truvativ, FSA and several others. The problem with ISIS is, like Bikinfoolferlife said, the small size bearings. In short, ISIS BB's tend to have short life. If you do go with an ISIS crank, I suggest you check out the review section and try to find the best one. The BB may be expensive, and it is likely to be heavy -I think that the DH models are the most durable, but I don't know.

Shimano Octalink cranks used a proprietary BB interface, and Shimano does not license the BB's, so they are the only ones that make them. I think that FSA and a couple other small brands have made cranks to fit those Octalink BB's. To be honest, it is somewhat of a shame that Shimano did what they did with the Octalink technology, because Octalink BBs do seem to last a decent amount of time, and Octalink is a much better product than ISIS. On the other hand, the comercial demise of Octalink is likely what brought us the new external bearing BBs (Hollowtech II for Shimano, X-type for Race Face, GXP for Truvativ...) When it came to this new idea, it seems like the marketing department of Shimano got their senses back and they are allowing the BBs to be, once again, and open standard, much like it was in the days of square taper. So now you can, once again, use a Shimano crank with a RaceFace bottom bracket -although now you only replace the bearing cups, the spindle is attached to the cranks.
    Summary:
    -ISIS, many brands use it, not so durable, phasing out of the market.
    -Octalink, only Shimano, more durable, phasing out of the market.
    -Hollowtech II/X-type, many brands, may be becoming the new standard, durability seems acceptable.

Oh, what cranks to buy? If you want the bashguard, Hone's are supposed to come that way. Or you can get a RaceFace Evolve DH X-type, which should run you about the same as the ISIS crank +BB.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    so....i emailed the guys at Greenfish (where i'm thinking of buying the above RF Evolve CS) and they said the crank will work with my 8-speed but will not be optimal.

so what IS optimal? i'm having trouble finding a crankset made specifically for 8-speed bikes. is it possible to get that crankset and fit it with different rings?

will it really effect my ride much?

thanks for all the input so far (and whatever's to come...)

al

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by amm888
    ... they said the crank will work with my 8-speed but will not be optimal.

al
    Not sure what they mean by optimal. 8 speed chains are slightly thicker than 9-speed, but it really doesn't matter as far as chain rings are concerned. Cycle dynamics makes high-end ti chainrings, and they say they're fine for 8 or 9 speed. I used the same ring on both 8 and 9 speed, worked fine.