mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Replacing big chainring w/ bashguard

I'm seriously thinking about swapping out my big chainring for a bashguard. I rarely if ever use the 44T ring and on more than one occasion I've dug the teeth in on a log or rock. I only do trail/XC riding on my MTB. Anything I should be aware of prior to doing this? Any pitfalls or issues? Here's what I was looking at buying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BBG-BASHGUARD-BA...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance.
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The bolt ring diameter has to be the same as well as the number of bolt holes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well, XT (M752) has 4 bolts and a 104 diameter (as does the bashguard) so I'm guessing it will work. Thanks for the verification.
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

I walk up hills
    Depending on the cranks you have, there may be a little more work.

On my RF prodigy DH crankset, the holes on outer chainring were the same size as the bolt eyelets and not the bolt shafts themselvs.

What this meant that if I just slapped the bash on the chainring would be loose, as it snuged up against the eyelet rather than the spider as the bash had holes the size of the bolt shaft. (The chain also rubbed on the bash in 8th).

I had to whip up some 1mm spacers to get it all snugged down properly.

Not an issue at all on my old Kona 3pc cranks though.