Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Replacing 1x9 Drivetrain with 1x10

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jcolletteiii 
#1 ·
I want to replace the 1x9 Drivetrain with a 1x10 but not sure on what components I should get. I currently have a mix of SLX/Deore so a wee upgrade would be nice.

Need a 11-36 or 12-36 cassette (lots of hills around here)
Trigger shifter
Reasonable $$$ (it's not my main ride)
SRAM or Shimano (not fussed)

#2 ·
If you have an alloy freehub, and want to avoid spline damage you'd need to get to XT in shimano to get a cassette that is on a carrier. X9 has a half carrier, XO has a fuller one.

SLX or X9 would be my recommendation. Best bang for buck.

#5 ·
If you have a steel freehub body, you can throw a Shimano 9 speed HG-61 cassette on there - there is a 12-36 option. I put one on my rear wheel, but really didn't feel too much of a difference. I assume you're on a 32t chainring up front? The thing that helped me on a 1x9 with climbing was doing more climbing - I don't think you'll see that big a difference between a 34 and 36 tooth cog.

Now going XX1 would make a massive difference - would basically give you the entire range of a 3x9 or 3x10 in a single ring up front and an 11 cog sprocket rear that ranges from 10 to 40 teeth or something crazy like that. I'd love to go XX1 at some point, but will wait to see if the system takes off and for the price to come down first!

#6 ·
Been thinking about this myself and I think the best option is Shimano's Zee group.

I have SRAM 2x9 (from X7 to X0) myself, the things you need to change out are
-Derailleur
-Shifter
-Chain
-Cassette

The Zee derailleur has all the nice new features from Shimano and is even cheaper than SLX. From the reviews I've seen, it's functionally the same as all the Shimano derailleurs so there's no real reason to get anything else other than to save weight (and spend more money).

I have also read in some reviews that the Zee shifter isn't that nice and an upgrade to Saint, XT or XTR might be worthwhile. Should work fine though, Zee is made for DH bikes so it should be bombproof.

The cassette shouldn't matter too much, SLX or XT depending on price/weight. Same with chain. From what I've read, using the same front chainring should work fine.

#8 ·
I recently went from 1x9 to 1x10. I wanted to switch from SRAM X0/X9 back to Shimano and went with Zee mech and shifter, 11-36 cassette and SRAM 1071 (i think) chain.
I have found the Zee shifting to be really nice and crisp. The Zee mech (in my opinion) is a short cage SLX with a clutch. I found the clutch mechanism to not stiffen the mech up as much as i thought it would but it is quiet. I still use a full chain device. I don't like the Zee shifter design, it doesn't sit well with my Hope Tech levers and has had me position the brake levers slightly higher than i would like. I will probably swap the shifter for SLX or better and use it with a matchmaker when funds allow. Again, i can't fault the shifting of the Zee system and on a budget it seems to be the only way to go 1x10 SS with Shimano.
The extra gear on the cassette has not made a great deal of difference and if i didn't want to switch fron SRAM back to Shimano i would happily have stuck with 1x9.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.