Living Life Behind Bars..

Replacement Rings for my 04 xtr cranks.

Holy hell I just realized the price ( in Canada ) for replacement Shimano XTR rings. What would be a good cheaper alternative and still work well ? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i've heard people recommending 'blackspire' chainrings before. still not cheap, but an alternative. i presume there are ones to fit. haven't used them myself, but good feedback from what i've read.

otherwise, XT, if they have the right sizes.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    And i believe that blackspire are manufactured in Canada.Thats what i'm going to try next.

Living Life Behind Bars..
    I emailed Blackspire and this is the response from Aaron:

Not yet!! We are currently designing some new SuperPro rings for new XTR. They won't be in production for a while yet. The only product that we already make for the new XTR is a polycarbonate big ring protector.

Chrome Toaster
    I think it was Vuelta, some european company, and Boone who makes some Ti rings for them. Anyway all of them (except the Ti) are about the same in cost as the originals so there's not much of a point in getting them over the Shimano's which will still perform better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Try Raceface

I have a set of shimano hone cranks and recently upgraded to raceface's highest model chainrings (not sure which one, but they are milled), and I found that it eliminated the chain-suck issues I was having and also improved shifting.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Middleburn do XTR. Not sure if they are available in the US. If not Chain Reaction Cycles has these as a complete set or as individual rings.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...x?ModelID=7097

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Blackspire on XT

I put some Blackspires on my NRS. They make a cool middle ring that is slighty thicker which is supposed to help shifting. Unfortunately they were sold out and I had to use something else in the middle.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy
    I have a set of shimano hone cranks and recently upgraded to raceface's highest model chainrings (not sure which one, but they are milled), and I found that it eliminated the chain-suck issues I was having and also improved shifting.
    XTR 960 uses a custom type of ring. XT uses standard 4 bolt rings.