mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Replacement for Deore M510 Shifters

My M510 series Deore shifters seem to be giving up the ghost; either slipping or requiring full (extended) thumb press to engage the next gear. I'm looking to possibly upgrade to the M770 series XT (9 seed), but with the difference in derailers, wanted to make sure there would not be any compatibility issues. These will be used to mate with an M510 FD and M750 RD (until those are eventually upgraded). Any compatibility concerns?

mtbr member
    Shimano 9 speed shifters are compatible with all Shimano 7/8/9 mountain rear derailleurs and almost all road as well.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have the same exact RD but had the LX shifters and did the upgrade to the XT M770 and the difference was a pleasant surprise for sure. Shifting became noticeably smoother and faster. If the new M770 shifters don't come with cables make sure to spring for a new set, they will make a difference.

FWIW, I wouldn't upgrade your RD until you damage it. That model is a solid performer and the new pods will breath new life into it. I made the mistake of upgrading mine to the newer XT 9spd RD (non shadow) "just because" and didn't notice any difference. My funds would have been better spent on a new chain and cassette. If you don't notice a solid increase in performance with the new pods and your RD isn't damaged one of those two might be to blame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the information. @ fireroad - I will hang onto the RD until it breaks. I try not to upgrade until I have a reason to do so (damage or something breaks), so your advise is spot on with my game plan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Are you sure its the Shifters and not just the cables that are giving up the ghost? The XT 770's or XTR 970's are a worth while upgrade IMHO on the 9 speed but maybe worth trying a new cable on them if you haven't already.
    I put the old LX shifters on my wifes bike when I got myself some SL-M970's and they are still going strong
    Agree that when you decide to upgrade the RD go for the XT or SLX Shadow type RD-M662 / 772 - I wouldn't bother with the FD unless it breaks.
    It's worth keeping an eye out online at the moment I picked up a 24hr clearance deal on 9 speed XT stuff from Chainreaction cycles just before Christmas. I picked up 2 x RD-M772's at $40 a piece and 2 x M770 cassettes at $30 a piece. and 2 x HG93 XT chains for $15 a piece. At those prices if you have any plan to upgrade in the future you can't go wrong.
    Saw another post recently where someone got a 10 speed SLX drive train from Jenson for under $300 (minus brakes)