mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Which Replacement Crank Will Fit?

Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum and I just started getting back into trail riding from 8 years ago. Here is my question. I have a 1997 cannondale f700 and it currently has a shimano FC-M16 crankset on it. I have some pretty jacked up teeth and I wouldn't mind replacing the whole crankset. The frame is in great shape and I have been adding upgrade parts on a regular basis. So, Which crankset will fit my bike? It is an eight speed and I am not sure which bottom bracket it has. Thanks in advance! Matt Miokovic

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    according to this you have a Shimano BB-LP26 bottom bracket, 110 mm spindle, 68mm english thread cups. given the bike's age, i'd probably get a new bottom bracket also, though i suspect by the fact that you aren't running the stock Coda crankset that it may have already been replaced, in which case who knows what BB you are running but the cup size and thread should be the same. i've heard MANY good things about the new shimano XT crankset. last i checked, chain reaction cycles has it for cheapest, even after shipping.

Hmmmmm
    All the new cranksets are compatible with both 8 or 9 speeds.
    Shimano or Raceface are your best bets.
    Shimano SLX or XT.
    Race Face I believe makes the Evolve cranksets for XC.
    Any of the new ones, from the major manufactures, is going to be light years ahead of the old crankset.
    Just follow the install instructions and you won't have any problems.
    If it's a Shimano Crank you end up with. The main things to remember when installing them are.
    A: Don't over tighten the end cap, on the non drive side crank arm.
    Just snug it up enough to take out the lateral play in the bearings.

B: Tighten the pinch bolts on the non drive crank arm progressively.
    That means going back and forth between the two pinch bolts, and tightening them at increasing torques until they both stay snugged up.

A common problem is people tightening those pinch bolts incorrectly.
    They tighten the first one, then tighten the other and never go back and retorque them again. After you tighten the first bolt, it will loosen when you tighten the second bolt next to it. That's why it's important, to keep going back and forth while tightening, until they both stay tight.
    You don't need a gorilla grip either.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the information! This helps out a lot. Do I need to replace the chain I have currently on the bike if I get a new crankset? Thanks

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm567
    Thanks for the information! This helps out a lot. Do I need to replace the chain I have currently on the bike if I get a new crankset? Thanks
    Yes you should, and the cassette too.

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    Yes you should, and the cassette too.
    Strafer is correct and I'd like to add: buy the chain, based on how many speeds the cassette is.
    Also: I personally, have had a lot of problems with Sram 951 chains over the last year, so I went back to a Shimano chain for the first time in about 2 years and couldn't believe how much better my reliability and shifting is.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I figured. I also ride a 2006 Yamaha Yz450F and when you replace a sprocket, you replace both, and the chain. Thanks for the help again! I have an 8 speed rear.