mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Replaced bearing in press fit bottom bracket. Seal spins with crank. Normal?

So I installed a new set of bearings on my Trek Fuel EX 9.9 frame with BB95 press-fit bottom bracket. I did the install myself so was naturally cautious not to damage the ball bearings when press fitting them into the frames bottom bracket. A few weeks have gone by and I realized that the seal on the non drive side is spinning with the crank. You can definitely see some of the seal protruding out as well instead of being fully recessed. Is this normal? Or do I need to push the bearings in a little further with the Park bearing press fit tool?

Thanks!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Seal spin with the crank is normal and right, as to needing a "repressing" no clue without being able to see it. Bearing should be pressed to the point where it bottoms out.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    PF BB's are just starting to make sense to me... I've ruined one to over torque and destroyed the bearings upon removal. The second has held up for several hundred miles. Of course thus was with a pf30 BB, does yours press directly into the carbon BB shell?

mtbr member
    Park Tool Co. Park Tool Co.

There is a good section on pf bb's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That is definately not normal. I do not own a bike with a press fit BB, but I have installed many a sealed pivot bearing; and they were all fully pressed-in with no seal spin. I would not ride it until a clear diagnosis is made. You could be damaging the shell.

Of note, and I hope I am wrong, a Trek dealer near me tells stories of Trek press-fit BB problems . . . something like the bearing press in way too easily (not snug). Moreover, two of my friends with Trek press-fit bearings have had frame replacements for BB problems. Hopefully, I am wrong, but you may want to run it by a dealer.

Or try loc-tight . . . .