mtbr member
    Jun 2005

REPLACED 44T WITH BASH GUARD, Should I lower front derailleur?

I replaced my 44t chainring with a bashguard designed for the 32t middle ring. Should I lower the front derailleur so its closer to the bashguard or leave it up where it is. It looks goofy up so high. It shifts ok as is. Don't want to lower it if it will compromise shifting performance

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I lowered mine. I know it shifts better now

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Don't lower it. If you want less 'goofy' replace it with an SLX double specific FD. Cheers.

Mountain Man Dan
    Just leave it. Make sure you adjust the H limit screw.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Short answer: you don't need to and once you adjust your limit screw, it should shift just fine.

As far as looking goofy, you've got plenty of company among tons of folks who got rid of a more or less useless 44T ring. You will rarely notice loss of 2 high gears, you will definitely notice that you don't scrape or get hung up on rocks and logs anymore, and you will forget about looking goofy.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Don't lower it, it won't improve shifting, and in fact will induce more chain rub at the extremes of the cassette. Take a close look at the inside shape of any Shimano FD cage - there is a wider 'gate' where the chain runs when on the middle ring, and its narrower above and below this, so if you move the FD more than a couple of mm up or down, the chain is now running in a narrower part of the cage. Also, move it too far down and the bottom of the cage will start to interfere with the chainstay, particularly on rear suspension bikes. If you don't like the goofy look of it sticking up there, get a double specific FD like the M665, which has a smaller cage.

Note: If at the same time as getting rid of the big ring you also increase the size of the middle - say from 32T to 36T, then you actually need to raise the FD so that the chain is still riding in the widest part of the FD cage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    so here's the deal. I did this on an 9speed SLX crankset that i swapped to my new bike that came with a 10-speed sram drivetrain. I wanted to use my slx cranks cuz I really like them. Chainrings would not swap between cranks. In another post I was told I'd de able to use the 9 speed slx cranks and maybe the front 10 speed derailleur would work.

Upon install it shifted fine but I had major chain rub. I have lowered the derailleur down to about a 1/2" from the bashguard and messed with the settings. I pretty much got rid of any chain rub but I need to go slightly past the middle ring "click" to shift into the middle ring. I imagine this is because I'm using a 10 spd derailleur with a 9 speed crankset.

i already have a 2-ring specific slx front derailluer from my old bike but its low clamp. I am going to install that but 1st I need to buy a sram powerlink cuz I'll need to break the chain (why dont they make front der.'s that don't require a chain break to remove)?

While we are on the chain topic. By removing the 44t stock chainring now my "big" ring is a 32t. How many links of chain should I remove from my chain?