mtbr member

Replace XT rear derailleur with a SRAM?

I have a post on hear about a bent rear derailleur hanger. But I'm wondering if the problem isn't with the derailleur. It's given me problems since I got the bike. I adjust it and it's only good for a week or 2. I have a Shimano XT M772 Shadow derailleur. The reviews on MTBR sound like the problems I have. Constantly needs adjustment.

I've never replaced a derailleur. The drivetrain on the bike is all XT. Can I put a SRAM derailleur on the rear... is it ok to mix and match that stuff? The SRAM X9 is about what I'd spend. But I could only find 10 speed, the bike is 9.
    Suggestions?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I have a post on hear about a bent rear derailleur hanger. But I'm wondering if the problem isn't with the derailleur. It's given me problems since I got the bike. I adjust it and it's only good for a week or 2. I have a Shimano XT M772 Shadow derailleur. The reviews on MTBR sound like the problems I have. Constantly needs adjustment.

I've never replaced a derailleur. The drivetrain on the bike is all XT. Can I put a SRAM derailleur on the rear... is it ok to mix and match that stuff? The SRAM X9 is about what I'd spend. But I could only find 10 speed, the bike is 9.
    Suggestions?
    shifters and rear derailleurs have to match... Front derailleurs can be brand switched.. you can use any 9 speed Shimano rear derailleur Try a SLX if you want to save a few bucks over the XT..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I really don't want to downgrade. I see a lot of other XT models. Would any other XT model work?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I really don't want to downgrade. I see a lot of other XT models. Would any other XT model work?
    You need another 9-sp Shimano derailleur. SLX is not a functional downgrade.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Rub it............
    To add to what shiggy posted, the magic is in the shifters. Going one step lower on the rear derailleur is only a slight weight penalty. Usually 10-20 grams. Zero performance loss.

You will, however, notice a difference in the shifters though.

I have always ran one step lower rear derailleur than my shifters.

Example - I used to run Sram X9 shifters and X7 derailleurs. One X9 RD costs almost as much as 2 X7 RD's.

Now I'm running 2x10 XO shifters with a X9 RD. XO RD's cost 2 times as much as X9 RD's.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You need another 9-sp Shimano derailleur. SLX is not a functional downgrade.
    I should also add, it is unlikely that the derailleur itself is the reason you need frequent adjustments. Misaligned hanger, worn or dirty cable and housing, poor cable routing, worn chain or cassette, dirty or under lubed chain are things to check before replacing the RD.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I should also add, it is unlikely that the derailleur itself is the reason you need frequent adjustments. Misaligned hanger, worn or dirty cable and housing, poor cable routing, worn chain or cassette, dirty or under lubed chain are things to check before replacing the RD.
    X2
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I got this worked out. I put the Park hanger adjuster back on it. When I first went at this, I watched a few YouTube videos on how to use the tool. Then the other day I read the Park manual. Yup, read the manual after I used it for the first time
    The videos talk about going from 12:00 to 9 to 6 to 3. That's what I did. Mistake. The Park manual says get it adjusted horizontally first, then vertically. So I put the tool back on and only adjusted horizontally, since it was good vertically. It was WAY off horizontally. Probably 3/4" from one side to the other. Another thing I learned was don't try to get it all back in one adjustment. Because when I moved it (close to) 3/4" on one side, all I did was chase that to the other side. You have to adjust it for half that. Then both will be that far from the O-ring on the pin.
    Anyway, now I can get the indexing right, and no more ghost shifting. Instead of buying a new rear derailleur I'm going to put the money into good quality new cable and housing.