mtbr member
    Apr 2010

replace drive train or derailer adjustments?

my bike is about 6 years old, a rockhopper (base model). the chain has been skipping occasionally or coming off while im riding causing me to stab the back of my heel with the pedal a few times. I can tell the gears on the front are worn, but the back looks pretty good. Ive heard that its best to replace the whole drive train at once, which i would rather not do.

I do little drops (1-2') but nothing more... i like to think the bike is made to handle this without the chain jumping gears or falling off.

Any tips?
    or even some adjustments i can look into?

Mountain Man Dan
    6 years old. No doubt your chain and cassette are worn, that is probably why it is skipping. You may be able to get away with just replacing the cassette and chain, if the crank set ring's aren't to worn.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jbourne84 View Post
    my bike is about 6 years old, a rockhopper (base model). the chain has been skipping occasionally or coming off while im riding causing me to stab the back of my heel with the pedal a few times. I can tell the gears on the front are worn, but the back looks pretty good. Ive heard that its best to replace the whole drive train at once, which i would rather not do.

I do little drops (1-2') but nothing more... i like to think the bike is made to handle this without the chain jumping gears or falling off.

Any tips?
    or even some adjustments i can look into?
    Well, first make sure everything is adjusted properly, that is a given.

Depending on how much you rode this bike over the last 6 years, the chain, cassette, and probably rings are worn. Do a search on this forum for how to check for chain wear. If it is not too worn, then the issue is likely just a derailment adjustment or needing new cables and housing. For that matter, change the cables and housing first regardless (as this will include shifting adjustments), it will give you a better idea of what you are dealing with.

If the chain is past acceptable wear, you will likely need a new cassette as well. If the rings actually look worn, I would replace them.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.