Now older but less slow!

Replace 6-speed freewheel with 8 or 9 speed?

I just picked up a 2003 Specialized Hotrock 20 6-speed boys of Craigslist. It's not a bad bike but I am going to swap out the twist shift for some sort or trigger. While I do this this I am wondering if I can upgrade the rear of the bike.

Currently the bike has a Shimano HG 14-28 6 speed freewheel. Is it possible to fit a 8 speed or 9 speed freewheel to the same wheel or is the width too great?

The freewheel I am thinking of is a Sunrace 8-speed 13-32. One of my motivations is to give my son more gearing as we have some big hills where I live. Is this even feasible? I'll admit I know nothing about freewheels.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 12-20-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm pretty sure a 7 speed will fit on the existing wheel, not sure about an 8 or 9 speed.

IRD makes a 13-32 7 speed freewheel, but they're kind of expensive

www.derbyrims.com
    You will need a new rear wheel to change the hub for more gears. Freewheels are not interchangeable.

Stick with the stock twist shift, and stock bike. Specialized designed a very good small boy's beginner bike.

Now older but less slow!
    Okay so the 8-speed is a no do.

However I swear I read that some people swapped out the 6-speed for the 7-speed Shimano freewheel. Also I really want to get rid of the twist shift. Its very stiff and my son can't turn it so I can to got to a trigger shifter. What is catching my eye is the SRAM X3 7-speed shifter (1:1 pull) or Shimano Acera 7-speed (2:1 pull).

I'm really hoping/asking if there is a way to fit the Shimano 7-speed megarange freewheel?

Obviously, depending on the shifter I would need to update the rear mech to either a SRAM X4 or Shimano Acera..

This all sounds like a lot of work, but if he is like his sister, he will ride this bike for the next 2/3 years then jump straight to a 26er. So I want the bike to be good and the shifting to be painless. The biggest complaint of him is that he has trouble on the hills so hopefully this gearing will allow him be able to handle some of the terrain here in Colorado.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Time out. What does it have? A freewheel or cassette? If you have a freewheel, just unscrew it and replace with 8 speed (cos cheapz). But before you do this, check the spacing on the frame. If it's 135, you're fine. You're probably gonna need to redish the wheel, but that's easy. Then get any 8 speed index shifter, and you should be totally fine.

People need to stop confusing freehubs and freewheels.

Now older but less slow!
    It's a freewheel. Not a freehub.

Sheldon Brown's site says a 7 speed should be good for a 6 speed. It gets iffy with an 8 speed.

As for the spacing I'll have to measure that tonight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A 7 speed freewheel will fit just fine. I put a 7 speed on my son's Hotrock with Sram X3 shifter and derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

Obviously, depending on the shifter I would need to update the rear mech to either a SRAM X4 or Shimano Acera..

Thanks.
    Spec shows it has a tourney rear der. I imagine it will work with a shimano 7sp (or 8) shifter if you can change the FW. I'm not familiar with 6sp, so look to see if the limit screws are turned in a good ways - that would be an indication that it's not 6sp specific.

It might be easier to just put a 32t chain ring on it, but you would lose some top end gearing. A new der. cable and some lube might solve the hard to twist problem.

Specialized Bicycle Components : 03 Hotrock 20 6-Speed Boys

Now older but less slow!
    If I went with the Shimano shifter then you are probably right in that I could reuse the tourney mech. However it looks like a POS and a new mech is not exactly expensive hence I'll probably just change it out.

Regarding the chain ring I did consider this. Even with the 7 speed mega range freewheel the bike will only have a 2.0 gear ratio. On my bike I run a 1.5 and there are hills around here where I would want lower. I figure I'll start with the freewheel conversion as I am going to switch to trigger shifters anyway. Then see if I still need to adjust the chainring at a later date.

I don't mind putting nicer stuff on the bike if I can swap it out and put the old stuff back on for selling it when the time comes.

Other items on the swap list are alloy bars to replace the steel ones...

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    7 Speed will work and you should be able to use 8 speed as well if you re-space and re-dish. That being said with a 20 inch wheel 28 tooth should be pretty easy.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think you'd better put the 7 speed Shimano megarange freewheel for your son's bike rather than upgrading it into 8 speed.

I use the megarange and I can easily climb a steep hill. Mixed it with 42-32-22T Shimano Alivio crank that can make him easy for pedalling uphill.

Now older but less slow!
    Thank you all for you insight. I know this is going to be a fun project for my son and I after the new year.

My son loves cycling and there is nothing better to improve his involvement than wrenching on his own bike

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by cassava View Post
    I use the megarange and I can easily climb a steep hill. Mixed it with 42-32-22T Shimano Alivio crank that can make him easy for pedalling uphill.
    Do you use the Alivio crank on a kids bike? I'm wondering how they handle the crank length as the minimum is 170mm and I believe the kids length should be closer to 152mm?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ^
    No. I use it on my 26" MTB. Surely you can't apply it on kids bike.

Sorry I didn't notice that it is for your kid bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    my daughters hotrock has a shimano xt 8/9 speed hub laced to the original wheel. She runs a 990 cassette, x-9 short cage, and x-0 twist shifters. Works great..I'll try to post a picture up tonight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ^
    wow that an amazing setup for her. at least in my opinion.

is your daughter often went to competition?

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by fc12806e View Post
    my daughters hotrock has a shimano xt 8/9 speed hub laced to the original wheel. She runs a 990 cassette, x-9 short cage, and x-0 twist shifters. Works great..I'll try to post a picture up tonight.
    are you still on her? Would really like to know how you did this. I want to turn my daughters bike to trigger shifting with more range too.
    I am not a "Role Model"