mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Repair + replace on 2004 Rockhopper Pro Disc?

Hi - new to the forums, so if this is the wrong place to post I apologise.

I have a 2004 Rockhopper Pro Disc that has never had more than replacement brake pads and tires (and the odd bit of wheel straightening!) It is now clear that the drivetrain is badly worn and needs replacing. Also creaking from headjoint and possibly bottom bracket. So the obvious question - is it worth the time and effort to replace the worn parts, and if so does anyone have any suggestions of an easy way to find suitable replacements? Given the age of the bike direct replacements are probably not possible ans as soon as I started searching for replacements I got lost down a rabbit hole of compatibility and complexity!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Your bike is older, but you can still find plenty of parts for it. It all depends on whether you think it is worth it to get new parts over getting a new bike. If you are doing the work yourself, you're going to need a lot of tools, if you have any questions about the tools you need just ask.

For a crankset you can use a 9 or 10 speed triple. If you get a 10 speed crankset, you must use a 10 speed chain. (Yes a 10 speed chain works just fine with 9 speed). The one in the link below is a direct replacement for the one you have, and it comes with a bottom bracket.
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...35&category=64

If the crankset does not come with a bottom bracket you will need to get one. An external 68mm BSA will work with your frame. Just make sure you get the same brand as the crankset you get.
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=6041

You need a 9 speed cassette. Yours came stock with 11-32, so if you want a direct replacement get that size. The on in the link below is a direct replacement for what you have.
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...65&category=41

You also will need a new chain. If you use an old chain with a new drivetrain, you will ruin it fast. Below is a direct replacement (you'll need to shorten it to the correct length with a chain tool though).
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...55&category=60

As far as headset creaking that could be a lot of things. You may just need to take the headset out, grease the bearings and cups and reinstall.
    Last edited by ljsmith; 10-01-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

MTB B'dos
    I'd say it's completely up to you, more so a question of can you do all the work yourself, if not them it can get very much more expensive having to pay a shop to do it for you. A quick piece together on CRC and I cam eup with the below, roughly $250 US for a complete 10spd drivetrain with a mix of XT and Deore parts. What you also have to ask yourself is, is everything else OK, or do you need more than just the wear and tear drivetrain parts replace? Shock, wheels OK?

Before you make the decision on just the $$ alone, I'd go into a local shop and sit on and if possible test ride a few of today's bikes and see how they feel. I kind of have a feeling that if you test ride a few of the modern bikes out now in the same price range your old bike cost, you might decide it's more worth it to put the upgrade $$ into a new bike and maybe just try to fix that up as a commuter or sell it.

Repair + replace on 2004 Rockhopper Pro Disc?-xt-drivetrain.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks guys - that's some great input! Didn't expect such a detailed response. I'm going to try to chase up the minimum set of parts to keep it going in a way that I don't worry something important will break, for now. New bike maybe when money feels less of an issue

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fineman View Post
    Also creaking from headjoint and possibly bottom bracket.
    It's tough to track down those creaks that seem to come from the bb. Could be a loose chainring bolt, a pedal bearing or the bb made have loosened, among other things. Regardless, it's cheaper to replace the small and mid ring, twenty? A bb is like fifteen. Budget a set of cables/housing for the shifters.

mtbr member
    My first question would be, do you like the bike? Finding bikes that fit you and feel right is easier said than done if you get a buzz out of riding this bike then it's certainly worth investing in it.

From what you describe, you're mainly looking at a new transmission. That's not bad for a bike if this age. If you also buy a decent bike tool kit you can learn to fit all the parts yourself. It's not that hard. We can help you and there are countless Youtube videos that will show exactly how to do each step. Go for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks all - yes, will be giving it a go Have worked on bikes a lot many years ago, and managed to true the wheels on this one myself. It was more the jungle of components and potential incompatibilities that initially overwhelmed me - but given that money for a new bike is not there, needs must.

MTB B'dos
    Well, if you're going to do your own wrenching, I highly suggest you bookmark Parks web site and go there when you need help. To work on a bike properly there are a few bike specific tools that are required, unless you're really good at fabricating stuff, but other than that, it's mainly just some good tools needed,lots of patience and time to read/watch and learn up.

Quote Originally Posted by fineman View Post
    Thanks all - yes, will be giving it a go Have worked on bikes a lot many years ago, and managed to true the wheels on this one myself. It was more the jungle of components and potential incompatibilities that initially overwhelmed me - but given that money for a new bike is not there, needs must.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Yeah, go for it. It'll be fine :0)