mtbr member
    Feb 2005

repair? - Cranks = RaceFace Ride XC, ISIS Splined, 22/32/44T

I have a 2004 Giant XTC-2 and I haven't put many miles on it, I would guess approximately 1,800. Every week or better I have been cleaning and lubing the drivetrain and shifting was working great, but I have been pretty brutal on it shifting a lot and using all the chainrings and at times using the large chainring to get over large logs. This year the chain has started coming off when shifting from the middle chain ring to the smaller one and this is shifting even before I get on the hill.

Here's my predicament right now I can't drop a lot of cash such as just going out and buying a new crankset, I'm looking at an older Shimano XTR 960 or a new XT 770. Before I bring it in for the repairs I would like to get parts because the lbs doesn't carry a lot of upper end XC components, there's no need for it here in the Midwest. For the crankset is it worth it to replace parts, e.g., chainrings and bearings, and then just buy a new chain, cassette and maybe front derailleur or should I wait and just pop for a new crankset when I can, ? If I can just repair and get buy can anyone recommend parts for my current crankset.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sounds like a tuning issue to me, take it to your LBS and get them to set your front shifting before thinking of spending hundreds of dollars on new parts.

When your bb and rings are worn out then is the time to start thinking of a new crankset.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    New chainrings, shouldn't cost a lot and should help. You can transfer them if you go to the Shimano HT2 XT crankset.

Have a good look at the BB first though, if you have riden some mud or water, that BB maybe close to toast.

Try to wiggle the crank arms side to side, any play means new BB pretty quick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

no play - recommendation on rings?

I do most of my own maintenance, so far all except the BB. Checking for loose wiggling from the BB was the first thing I thought to do, I tried it and there doesn't appear to be any play. Right now I'm reading the Park Tool section on Cranks and BB's and maybe I'll just dig into it myself. I trust my lbs but I'm a tinkerer and I love working on this stuff, if it wasn't for those darn kids, wife, dog and house, I'd be able to work on it all day! Any rec's on rings to buy?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If your BB and cranks are in good shape....

then replacing the chain rings is more ecconomical than a new crank set by a LONG SHOT!!! As for recommendations for rings, you're riding one of the better companies rings right now, Race Face. The two best IMHO for durability and performance are Race Face and Black Spire. You can get Race Face team rings for around $80 for a complete set, or the RF Evolve set for around $60. My presonal preference is for the Team rings.

From the sounds of things you do have a front derailleur adjustment issue. But from what you describe with your mileage etc. it's probably time for a drive train replacement as well. So if the BB is good and there's no problem with the crank arms, a new set of rings, new cassette, and chain would probably fix you up. And it would do it for consderably less coin than just a new crank set and bottom bracket. Just keep in mind that your derailleurs have seen alot of use as well and may be getting tired, so rings, cassette, chain, and adjustment may not bring everything back to "like new" performance. But it will certainly help. And it is worth it to repace the parts. Unless you have performance issues with the crank arms themselves, why not wear em out before you replace em?

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

which ones?

Being at work I don't have my bike in front of me so I can't take any measurements to figure out what I need to order. I'm looking at the Race Face Team rings at Pricepoint, but they have 2 listed that look the exact same to me. Which one do I need?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I'd wait till I got home....

and could look at the bike. You'll MOST LIKELY need the 4 arm, 104mm/64mm Bolt Circle Diameter model. And I say most likely! But you do need to confirm that for sure. I am almost positive of that, but there are cranks out there that use 94/58 BCD or 110/74 BCD, these are used on 5 arm cranks. The first number is the diameter of the bolt circle for the large and middle rings, the second number is the diameter of the bolt circle for the small ring. So if you've got a 4 arm crank then the 104/64 is what you'll need. If you have a 5 arm then you'll need to measure to determine which size. If I remember correctly the cranks on the XTC-2 were 4 arm. So the 104/64 SHOULD be what you need.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    New chainrings, shouldn't cost a lot and should help. You can transfer them if you go to the Shimano HT2 XT crankset.

Can I put chainrings from Race Face Prodigy xc on XT or LX Hollowtec II cranks?

I think I can but I want to be 100%

Not to open a new tread...... Can bearings from LX hollowtec II bottom brackets be raplaced with new ones from SKF?

Tnx
    Last edited by Tomislav S.; 06-15-2007 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Squash, you're correct they are 104 BCD with 4 bolts. I ordered a RaceFace Team set from Beyondbikes for the 64.98 pricepoint had them listed. Plus I ordered a new xtr 7701 chain, XT cassette and XT front derailleur. I got everything shipped to me for $202. The wife and kids are on vacation in Poland for the next 2 weeks and I'm going to be having a lot of fun with my other love.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not Positive but the XT hollow tech II will take normal 104 BCD 4 arm chainrings.

I have used Raceface and Blackspire.

The middle ring will have a gap between the arms of the crank and arms of the middle ring. Works fine.

But the XT middle ring has longer arms and will not fit in a standard 104 BCD 4 arm crank.