mtbr member

Removing Truvativ Five D crankset

Hi all, I'm new to the DIY world and really need your help to upgrade my crankset. The current one on my bike is a Truvativ Five D, and I want to remove it. It's picture is here:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I tried to loosen both 8mm bolts in a counterclockwise direction when I face the arms, but they didn't move at all. I even tried a torque wrench to see how much force I've applied--not to my surprise it's over the suggested Nm.

So, My questions are, "Do I need extra tool to remove both arms besides a 8mm hex wrench?" "Am I turning the bolts in the correct direction?"

Any help is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The retaining bolts....

are standard thread for both sides, i.e. righty = tighty, lefty = loosey. So, yeah you're turning them in the correct direction. Using a torque wrench to see how much torque you need to get them loose is an exercise in futility. It will always take more torque to get a bolt loose than it was tightened to if they've been installed for a while. An object at rest tends to stay at rest. Dude named Newton penned that I believe. They tend to get sticky, so to speak, and don't want to come loose. Try this and see what happens. Take the torque wrench and go the oposite direction, i.e. tighten the bolts. But you're not looking to do much here but break the bolts loose. Just slowly apply pressure until the bolt moves. You'll likely hear a loud ping or a pop when the bolt breaks free. Once you hear or feel the bolt move STOP! From there go the other way and remove the bolts, should be easier. When bolts have been in place for a long time they get comfortable where they are and just don't want to move. The aren't siezed or anything, they just get kinda sticky and lazy so to speak. If you can't get em to break loose using the above method, then I'd suggest taking them into a shop where they have more aggessive tools to do the job.

Good Dir
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Excellent suggestion and thank you sir!

So I ONLY need a bigger, regular wrench and nothing else to do the job, correct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

To get the bolt out yes....

but to actually remove the crank arms you'll need a crank arm puller. If I remeber correctly the 5D uses a square taper spindle so a Park CCP2 would be what you'd need. The reason for all that torque in bolting on the crank arms is to creat a press fit between the crank and the bottom bracket spindles. This keeps them tight and solidly mounted. It's also the reason that you should check the tightness of the bolts every 3 or 4 rides. If the bolts come loose, and some do, it's possible for the cranks to work loose from the spindles under riding loads. Once they are loose enough for you to notice it while riding you've usually done damage to the crank arms that can't be repaired.

Good Dirt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    I'll try to remove the crankset tonight following your suggestion. Thanks a million!

mtbr member
    You might consider replacing the Square LE bottom bracket that often comes with that crankset, if you are staying with a square taper crankset.