mtbr member

Removing a Truvativ crank without the extractor nut

Is there any way to remove my left Truvativ Stylo (GPX) crank arm without the extractor nut? The integrated extractor nut fell off during a ride a few months ago and none of my LBS have one in stock.

I should be studying...
    pretty sure you need a splined crank puller.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    My Park crank arm puller for a Shimano V1 & V2 BB spline is way too small to thread into the the Truvativ GPX arm.

mtbr member
    The standard crank arm thread size for square taper and V1, V2, ISIS splines is 22 x 1 mm. The Stylo GXP left crank arm has a 26mm x ? tapped into it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalton
    Is there any way to remove my left Truvativ Stylo (GPX) crank arm without the extractor nut? The integrated extractor nut fell off during a ride a few months ago and none of my LBS have one in stock.
    Do you know anybody with a GPX crank (road or mountain) that you could borrow the extractor nut from? I had this problem when I bought a roadbike with a GPX crank with no extractor. My crank puller for the shimano splined did not work. I was able to use the one from my Stylo cranks, and then put it back when I was done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    just ride it for a while, it'll fall off. its a truvativ feature.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Visit the dealer where you purchased it.
    They can call Sram and have a new one sent, likely as a good faith warranty.

Don't ride it around with the crankbolt out. All crankarms will come loose if you do this.
    In doing so you'll likely damage the splines as it comes loose, then the crankarm is trash.

The crankarms won't fall off if they are bottomed out against the seal/crankstop and torqued to spec. The key is they need to be bottomed on the crankstop/seal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rammer
    The crankarms won't fall off if they are bottomed out against the seal/crankstop and torqued to spec. The key is they need to be bottomed on the crankstop/seal.
    wow, yes they will, ive personally had it happen many times. and my torque wrench is in perfect working order.