Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,213

    Removing Freehub w/o removing cassette?

    I need to check the pawls on my I9 Torch hub. Can I pull the free hub off with the cassette still threaded on? This is using a SRAM 11spd XD driver. It seems like this should be possible . . . only reason is I'm being lazy and hate taking off the cassette.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,889
    If the freehub just pulls off without the cassette, it'll pull off with the cassette. I've had freehubs that I couldn't slip back on without wrapping a string around the pawls to hold them in, which might be trickier with cassette still on.
    Do the math.

  3. #3
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    If the freehub just pulls off without the cassette, it'll pull off with the cassette. I've had freehubs that I couldn't slip back on without wrapping a string around the pawls to hold them in, which might be trickier with cassette still on.
    Yeah, I don't know about the installation bit and getting a cassette off when the free hub is not on the bike might be REALLY tough. Point taken.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  4. #4
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,117
    sir have you tried the great pedro's vice whip, it makes removing a cassette something to look forward to.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,182
    And if you don't have that wonderful tool use an old hunk of chain, an old towel and a lockjaw pliers. Or maybe just the towel and pliers.

  6. #6
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,213
    Oh, i have all the tools . . . I'm just laaaaaaazy
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,492
    The real trick is to get the freehub off without removing the wheel from the bike.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    190
    I did this once, with this hub, on accident. I don't remember any issue putting it back together. YMMV


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I need to check the pawls on my I9 Torch hub. Can I pull the free hub off with the cassette still threaded on? This is using a SRAM 11spd XD driver. It seems like this should be possible . . . only reason is I'm being lazy and hate taking off the cassette.
    Just pull and spin to the left.
    I do this all the time as i swap cassettes by changing the freehubs.

    Make sure pop end cap back into place on re-install


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    Just pull and spin to the left.
    I do this all the time as i swap cassettes by changing the freehubs.

    Make sure pop end cap back into place on re-install


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool. I've got a bunch of spare o-rings too, since apparently they can shred when removing the drive side end cap.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Cool. I've got a bunch of spare o-rings too, since apparently they can shred when removing the drive side end cap.
    Never have I replaced mine but never had a problem. not sure if it needed to ever be done.

    A new hub is a BIOTCH to remove that end cap the first couple times...

  12. #12
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,265
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Cool. I've got a bunch of spare o-rings too, since apparently they can shred when removing the drive side end cap.
    Make sure that you lube the end caps well to keep from shredding that thin, tiny "O" ring and to ensure you've sealed the bearings from dirt or water contamination.

    Removing Freehub w/o removing cassette?-20170318_184135.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  13. #13
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,265

    I found the XD Freehub endcap photos

    Removing Freehub w/o removing cassette?-20170122_160422.jpg Removing Freehub w/o removing cassette?-20170122_162105.jpg Removing Freehub w/o removing cassette?-20170122_162136.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  14. #14
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,213
    I still haven't tackled this job yet . . . in part, because as Toot noted, that end cap just does not want to come off!

    But I appreciate the tip on ensuring there's enough grease on there to act as a seal.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  15. #15
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,265
    Part of the end cap removal problem prolly is because the internal "O" ring is dry and not wanting to release from the axle. Lubrication will facilitate the next removal. Mine were dry when I first removed them and they would not come off easy. I used a pair of Cannon plug pliers to grip the end cap and remove it without damage. Most folks prolly won't have these though.

    Name:  Cannon Plug Pliers I.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  7.2 KB

    You might try wrapping a rag around the end cap (to prevent damage to end cap) and attempt removal with a set of regular pliers or Channel Lock pliers. But they will pull straight off the axle with a little effort.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  16. #16
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,213
    I9 recommends a dowel through the axle and tapping it out that way. I'm just trying to find an appropriately sized dowel without spending $14 for a metal rod from I9. Have a run to Home Depot later today and will see if I can find a wooden scrap around that might work.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  17. #17
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,265
    Hmmm... that's a new one on me. A dowel. Cool easy.

    A wooden dowel from the big box hardware store sounds easy enough
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  18. #18
    oh my TVC 15
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Oh, i have all the tools . . . I'm just laaaaaaazy
    Like my dad used to say "Sometimes the shortcut doesn't take you where you wanted to go."
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  19. #19
    oh my TVC 15
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    The real trick is to get the freehub off without removing the wheel from the bike.
    Cutting torch. No trick at all. Putting it back is the trick.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  20. #20
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,265
    Putting the cassette back onto the hub with the freehub attached is really more of an exercise in gentle persuasion.

    An easy, counterclockwise rotation while gently pressing down onto the hub is usually enough to get all six pawls to smoothly engage. If you can't get them to engage by this method, you can take a pick (or something thin, even a butter knife) to push the individual pawls in while pushing down and gently rotating. Don't forget the freehub lubricant.

    Removing Freehub w/o removing cassette?-20170122_160938.jpg Removing Freehub w/o removing cassette?-20170122_161045.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Part of the end cap removal problem prolly is because the internal "O" ring is dry and not wanting to release from the axle. Lubrication will facilitate the next removal. Mine were dry when I first removed them and they would not come off easy. I used a pair of Cannon plug pliers to grip the end cap and remove it without damage. Most folks prolly won't have these though.

    Name:  Cannon Plug Pliers I.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  7.2 KB

    You might try wrapping a rag around the end cap (to prevent damage to end cap) and attempt removal with a set of regular pliers or Channel Lock pliers. But they will pull straight off the axle with a little effort.
    Well then I9 failed to properly lubricate the seal on both of my hubs...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,265
    Honestly, I have never seen end caps from any hub maker come lubricated. Undoubtedly, a good thing to do when you get any new component is to confirm proper lubrication. I want to ensure the caps are appropriately greased to provide an extra layer of protection for the bearings from water or dirt contamination. Just good practice.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Honestly, I have never seen end caps from any hub maker come lubricated. Undoubtedly, a good thing to do when you get any new component is to confirm proper lubrication. I want to ensure the caps are appropriately greased to provide an extra layer of protection for the bearings from water or dirt contamination. Just good practice.
    I hear ya but I expect more for a 3-400$ hub.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,265
    I understand your point. It's an end cap. I see this as a extra step that I choose to take to extending bearing life. There's no requirement to take this extra measure. Perhaps no different than ensuing that a bottom bracket exterior seal has the same additional grease to ensure the same extra measure of protection, yet none come with this. It takes but a few minutes to accomplish this.

    Perhaps your expectations are correct, but it's how many components are shipped with the expectation of the end user if they wish to go above and beyond. Tribal knowledge?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Cutting torch. No trick at all. Putting it back is the trick.
    Weld it back together. The new trick, functionality.

  26. #26
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post

    You might try wrapping a rag around the end cap (to prevent damage to end cap) and attempt removal with a set of regular pliers or Channel Lock pliers. But they will pull straight off the axle with a little effort.
    A piece of a tube works great for this purpose.

Similar Threads

  1. Removing freehub body from hub with cartridge bearings
    By gurax in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-28-2016, 05:12 PM
  2. Problem removing freehub body from 2013 Mavic Crossride
    By omiTimo in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2015, 06:37 AM
  3. Removing the XD Freehub Body from Easton EC90 XC Hub
    By thunderpants in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 09:40 PM
  4. Removing cassette
    By rubez in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 03:05 PM
  5. Removing stickers w/o removing rack paint?
    By jrm in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •