Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009

Removing BMX bottom bracket??

Hi
    I know this is a noobish question so bare with me. I'm about to raw down the terrible spraypainted color on my Tonic Fall Guy, but wasn't sure how to go about removing my BB. There's an image attached. Does anyone have any ideas as to what tool I'd need (or maybe no tool and save me money)? I'm handy with a lot of bike stuff, but cranks and wheels are over my head. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing BMX bottom bracket??-img_0371.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you're going to reuse that bottom bracket, you'll need to use the right tool to remove the lockrings and not muck them up. There are flat wrenches or hooked spanners that will fit into the notch(es) on the ring and let you turn them. Bike shops sell them, but I'd ask your friends to see if anyone has one. They aren't too expensive if you need to buy one. The left side shown here is normal thread...the right side (drive side) is left-hand threaded (backwards) so be sure to remember that. When you remove those you should be able to spin out the cups by hand. If not, wrap some inner tube or something around them and gently try to turn them with pliers (don't want to ruin the threads here). You probably have loose bearings, so get ready for them to drop out and pay attention to how many are in each cup (most are the same size, same amount on each side, but not always). A small magnet might come in handy if any bearings stick with the grease in weird places or end up in one of the frame tubes.

If you're going to use a new bb, you can get the lockrings off most of the time using a hammer and punch, just be careful not to slip and damage the frame. It'll tear up the lockrings if they don't come loose easily, but you can sometimes still use them again. Using the wrench is better.

If it's too much trouble, a shop can do it for a few bucks or free. Instead of removing it, you could also mask it off since you're spraying (as long as that won't interfere with stripping the old paint). Siliconized caulking (the cheapest tube at the store, and not 100% silicone caulk...too hard to remove later) works better than tape, or you could combo them.

There are good pictures and instructions at Park's website. http://www.parktool.com . Look in the repair help section.
    Last edited by Crankenator; 03-03-2010 at 02:23 PM.

the test dummy
    at least it does not have one of there oh and the bike is a 1997 gt freestyle pro team tour or some thing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing BMX bottom bracket??-pressed-bb.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Thanks a lot! I know my Fall Guy uses a MID BB (73mm wide). The crank arms on there are Primo so I'd like to keep them as they aren't cheap. I'm guessing this BB is pretty crap, though. Can you think of a decent BB replacement that is compatible with my Primo Hollowbites? This bike is a bit weird because it's a MTB, but it uses BMX spacing in the BB and the rear hub width

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by crashwins
    Hi
    I know this is a noobish question so bare with me. I'm about to raw down the terrible spraypainted color on my Tonic Fall Guy, but wasn't sure how to go about removing my BB. There's an image attached. Does anyone have any ideas as to what tool I'd need (or maybe no tool and save me money)? I'm handy with a lot of bike stuff, but cranks and wheels are over my head. Thanks!
    You can use channel lock pliers. They work better than the single tooth lock ring tools. Mars the ring a bit but they still work just fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common