mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Removing bb on older model Specialized

I am working on a buddy's bike, and I need to pull the bb -- does the drive side remove clockwise or counter-clockwise? It is in there pretty good and I don't want to mess anything up. It is a circa 96 Stumpy Hardrock Comp, and the bb is a cartridge style. Thanks in advance.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafer
    I am working on a buddy's bike, and I need to pull the bb -- does the drive side remove clockwise or counter-clockwise? It is in there pretty good and I don't want to mess anything up. It is a circa 96 Stumpy Hardrock Comp, and the bb is a cartridge style. Thanks in advance.
    All (threaded) mtb BBs use left-hand threads on the drive side. Clockwise to remove.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Former Bike Wrench
    I have found it easy to remember that English BB's tighten to the back of the bike and loosen to the front of the bike...regardless of left or right side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    As Rudyard Kipling might have said, Right is Left, and Left is Right, and if unsure when upside down, the RD hanger is on the right.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yes english threads tighten the same direction as the "power" direction of the cranks... reason for this is over time back in the day the standard threading would loosen on one side (left side)

italians decided they didn't need to worry about the opposite threading on one side... but those are road bike fangled things
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Got it taken care of, finally. Thanks for all the info, guys.