mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Removing Alivio FC-M430 crankarm

In the process of converting my 3x9 29er into a single speed. The bike has a Shimano Alivio FC-M430 crankset. I've been trying like heck to get the drive side crank arm off so I can install the front ring. All I have to do is turn the 8mm hex counter-clockwise, right? Is there something I'm missing? I've sprayed it with WD-40 before I try again. Hopefully, it helps.

Who the heck torqued this thing down this hard?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I found this and it seems like that's all I need to do. I might have to find a pipe to use as a longer lever.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830690265.pdf
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That is correct; the bolt is a regular thread, so make sure you are turning it left to loosen.

A few thoughts:
    1) use the crankarm and the hex key as a pair of scissors. Get some PB Blaster, let it soak into the bolt threads, then place the hex key so it is to the left of the crank arm, and push both together. Very rarely is this not enough to loosen crank bolts. If this winds up not being true, get the bike in a stand, position the pedal against your thigh (you will be standing with your back facing the front of the bike) and use a breaker bar. A stuck bolt will likely bend a regular home-improvement store hex wrench, so get a breaker bar (thing big honking ratchet without the ratchet parts) and an 8mm hex head socket. The bolt will come off.

2) chain on the big ring. If you slip, it's gonna hurt a hell of a lot less than getting gored on the teeth.

3) You will need a crank puller to remove the crankarm properly without damaging it. That particular crank comes in square taper or octalink, so get a universal puller . It is important to use the right spacer for removing the crank...big one for splined cranks, small one for square taper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for your reply. I took the pedal off and followed your suggestion of pushing them together and that worked after a lot more effort. I was using a 8mm socket so I've been putting a ton of torque down on them.

I have that crank puller so I'll save that part for tomorrow. I just wanted to have everything ready when the ss conversion comes in.

Thanks again!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No problemo, just remember when you put it back together: grease both the threads and the bottom of the bolt, as well as the crank/axle interface. It'll make it easier to tighten the system, and make sure it's easier to remove next time.