Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,587

    removing 42T ring, new bolts?

    been experimenting by riding using only my middle ring (32T)...it's working out OK, so I though i'd take off the big ring, and do more ride testing...but the chainring bolts are too long to do this i guess...do i have to buy short bolts...or do i just get some washers so the stock bolts can snug up on something?
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

  2. #2
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    been experimenting by riding using only my middle ring (32T)...it's working out OK, so I though i'd take off the big ring, and do more ride testing...but the chainring bolts are too long to do this i guess...do i have to buy short bolts...or do i just get some washers so the stock bolts can snug up on something?
    If your going to experiment i would put some washers in there for temporary. You will also have to readjust the front derailleur to stop at the middle ring. If you find you like the 2x9 setup then get the proper length nuts & bolts. Another option will be to add a bash guard to replace the missing ring.
    http://www.raceface.com/components/c...s/bashring.htm

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,587
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    If your going to experiment i would put some washers in there for temporary. You will also have to readjust the front derailleur to stop at the middle ring. If you find you like the 2x9 setup then get the proper length nuts & bolts. Another option will be to add a bash guard to replace the missing ring.
    http://www.raceface.com/components/c...s/bashring.htm
    f'n hard to find little parts like bolts on the internet...i hate lbs's...questions like these bother them...maybe stop by the hardware store and get some washers...thinking about just a 1X9 drivetrain...so far so good...kind of cool thinking i could remove the entire FD system!

    but yeah, bashguard is on the horizon
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

  4. #4
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    This should help for your 1X9 setup.
    1x9 Setup

  5. #5
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    f'n hard to find little parts like bolts on the internet...i hate lbs's...questions like these bother them...maybe stop by the hardware store and get some washers...thinking about just a 1X9 drivetrain...so far so good...kind of cool thinking i could remove the entire FD system!

    but yeah, bashguard is on the horizon
    Deffinatly hardware store washers. I have never done the 1X9 setup but aparently you will need a chain guide & the bash.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,587
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    This should help for your 1X9 setup.
    1x9 Setup
    oh, missed that...grazia
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

  7. #7
    mtbr platinum member
    Reputation: bikerx40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420
    If you're running only two chainrings, then just go into your LBS and tell them that you need a set of BMX chainring bolts and they'll fit the single ring perfectly.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,587
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    If you're running only two chainrings, then just go into your LBS and tell them that you need a set of BMX chainring bolts and they'll fit the single ring perfectly.
    alright, i'll try them...afraid of the 'what now?' though
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •