Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Remove freewheel.. HOW?

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  kevbeer 
#1 · (Edited)
I got all my tools and and new cassette for my 2012 SPecialized Camber Comp.

I got the cassette off easy enough, but how on earth do you remove the freewheel? I want to clean it.

Dont really see any place to attach any sort of tool..

I removed the silver pressed on ring thing too, but that's not what is holding the freewheel on.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Those are Formula hubs. Tap the axle and non-drive bearing out with a mallet from the drive side. You should be able to reach the freehub body bolt from the non-drive side with a 11mm or 12mm allen (Formula has used both sizes over the years). It's usually extremely tight and often requires a vice to hold the allen while you turn the wheel with both arms.

#11 ·
I think Bike Whisperer is right, but you should be protecting the end of the axle with a block of wood/ bronze/plastic mallet/some soft metal and not rain down hammer blows directly on it or you'll mushroom the end of the axle.

Apologies for not realizing you had pressed in bearings. My 10 year old Formulas have cones and ball bearings. I took my freehub off last year for fresh lube. I didn't take it apart because it is cheaper and easier just to replace it, and mine was and is working fine.

Drew

#18 ·
just consulted my Park Tools BIG BLUE BOOK. and im a newb to bke maintenance. but, from what i found, you need to hit harder. make sure your not countering the idea by leaving the axle on the surface of the table/bench/etc. you need the entire axle and disc side bearing to move out. so find a huge socket that is deep and big enough for it all to come out. socket on bench, wheel centered on socket, wood block, hammer away.

good luck!

#19 ·
it's a spec. stout hub,correct?
i just did mine,tap from cassette side( with the two alum,collars removed.) until the non-drive side bearing comes out. then remove it.
next, tap from the non-drive side and the axle and cassette side bearing will come out.(along with a rubber seal.)
there's a step in the axle. and two different bearings. 6000rs and 6001rs(or 6000-2rs/6001-2rs same thing)
ones a 10x26x8 and ones a 12x28x8

hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.