TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Reliable Crankset - Shimano LX or Truvativ Stylo?

Hi

I am picking up my new Heckler on Monday, with the X9 AM buildkit.

This kit comes with Truvativ Stylo cranks. If I have the option, would it be worth swapping the Stylo crankset for a Shimano LX? (If XT is a cheap swap I will definitely go for it).

A few grams of weight difference doesn't bother me. I am most concerned about low maintenance, high reliability. I guess I am really asking about the BB reliability.

I weigh about 160lbs on the bike, and it will be used on rough trails rather than big hucks, so stiffness is probably not too much of an issue (?)

Thanks.
    TJT
    Last edited by TJT; 11-16-2007 at 02:48 PM.

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oh, and I will be putting my BBG bashring on it.

No, that's not phonetic
    The Shimano BB is a bit more resistant to water getting in and seems to last longer. I also like the pinch-bolt setup on the Shimanos better than the old spline interface like the Truvativs use (you are talking about the X-bearing cranks, right?). My Truvativs also have gnarly corrosion issues on the arms that none of my Shimano cranks exhibit. I'd go LX personally, or XT for sure if you can swing it.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Only have XT, way better than the ISIS, but I got 6000 km out of one set of bearings through a winter.

The XT can also upgrade to Enduro cups and bearings, they have an even better seal arrangemnt, and are lasting even better.

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for your replies.

Like I said, if 07 or 08 XT is an option, then I'll definitely go for it. I am currently leaning towards LX over the Stylos - I may even be able to use the price difference as leverage in a possible brake swap (see this thread).

Is there anyone out there who thinks it's worth keeping the Truvativs?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

My personal preference is....

toward the Shimano system as well, and for the same reasons as stated above. But the Truvativ system is quite serviceable and does work. And Enduro does have a bearing upgrade available for Truvative GXP cranks. The real weakness of the GXP is the bearing sealing system. So they can be made more durable through the upgrade of the bearings.
    However, for out of the box performance it's pretty tough currently to beat the shimano system. I also prefer the pinch bolt non drive side interface to the "press fit" splined interface of the Truvative cranks as well.

If I had to make the choice I'd have to go with the XT or LX cranks as well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OK, I've been persuaded. LX it is, or hopefully XT.

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I got the LX cranks about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. By far the best bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gokart508
    I got the LX cranks about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. By far the best bang for the buck.
    [SIZE="4"]X2[/SIZE]

And the weight difference is minimal (like 80g or less).
    2015 Specialized FATBOY Easton Carbon Seatpost SRAM X7 Triggers
    2014 Specialized CRUX PRO SRAM 2x10 Force, CG-R Post