mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Red Chain for 9 speed Shimano drivetrain?

Hi,

Title says it all pretty much. I saw that KMC makes a red chain but it's for singlespeed. I'm guessing that won't work? Why wouldn't it? Just curious, I don't know anything

Any suggestions?

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Singlespeed chains are wider. It wouldn't fit on a cassette. I don't know about red normal chains... I've seen gold ones though, and I would imagine someone makes one.

http://tinyurl.com/d6yutq

I found one in a few seconds...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    http://tinyurl.com/d6yutq

I found one in a few seconds...
    Which one of those was a 9spd chain again? Or are you just shooting for irony?

I don't remember seeing any colored 9spd chains before. I believe the colored SS chains you see are basically painted on the sides (since you can't anodize steel) and this is no problem because nothing touches the side of the chain on an SS. But with a geared drivetrain the front derailleur scrapes against either side of the chain and would quickly make that paint look terrible and then you would have paint shavings in your drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Looks like KMC is the only reputable company that comes close.

Thanks for useless link to google that I already tried, Bikinfoolferlife. Please don't reply w/ useless info.

To boomn and Moon_Knight, thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by iRoNeTiK; 04-07-2009 at 12:41 AM.

mtbr member
    I did do the actual Google searching too and found a reference to a red Wipperman 9spd chain, but when I looked further into it I couldn't find it on Wipperman's site or any major retailer. Looks like a failed product taking off the market

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I did do the actual Google searching too and found a reference to a red Wipperman 9spd chain, but when I looked further into it I couldn't find it on Wipperman's site or any major retailer. Looks like a failed product taking off the market
    I stopped when I found the Wipperman chain. Didn't look further...might want to contact Wipperman, maybe they could help.

Sorry for the attempted humor ironetik but it's a RED CHAIN so how serious can one get?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique