mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Idea! reconnecting pin on chain

I used the Park Tool CT-3 to break my chain & accidentally pushed the pin completely off. I was intending on keeping the pin in on the link a bit, so i can easily reconnect the chain. I tried reconnecting the pin but could not.

Question: Were my efforts all for naught? A completely removed pin cannot be reinstalled? Thank you

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, it'll be pretty much impossible to get it back in, but I don't think they are really meant to be reinstalled at all anyway. The best thing is to just install a quick-link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have made the same mistake a number of times and had no big problem putting it back, before I realized it is "impossible".

Find a hard surface. Insert the other end of the chain between the plates, and hold the pin in place with needle-nose pliers. Tap it with a hammer to get it started.

I have reused pins several times on 7 & 8 speed chains without problems.

My 10-speed would break after I reused them, in a rather unpredictable manner. Not climbing necessarily, it just came off when riding leisurely on level ground sometimes. So as spsoon says, be safe and use the quick link. I think I paid about $12 ppd for a 6-card of them from Amazon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Idea!

Thanks spsoon on the quick-link... & thanks DennisF on the Amazon info

edit: Yes i found it on Amazon. Do you know if the 7-8 speed quick links will fit on a 9 speed chain & vice versa (9 speed quick links work on an 8 speed chain)?

Trail Ninja
    I believe the 7-8-9 speed are all compatible with each other, since their width requirements are the same. It's 10-11 speed stuff that is designed to be narrower.

I actually wonder now, since 10 spd chains are compatible with 9 speed drivetrains, if then it would be possible to run 9 speed quicklinks on a 10 speed chain, all on a 9 speed drivetrain. The quicklink might fit a little loose, but I think it might work. I've had a KMC quick link fit kind of loose on a 9 speed narrow chain, and rode that for many months without incident.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I believe the 7-8-9 speed are all compatible with each other, since their width requirements are the same. It's 10-11 speed stuff that is designed to be narrower.

I actually wonder now, since 10 spd chains are compatible with 9 speed drivetrains, if then it would be possible to run 9 speed quicklinks on a 10 speed chain, all on a 9 speed drivetrain. The quicklink might fit a little loose, but I think it might work. I've had a KMC quick link fit kind of loose on a 9 speed narrow chain, and rode that for many months without incident.
    You're wrong all the way around.

7 and 8spd chains are the same width and interchangable. The chain and cog spacing stayed the same, they just added an extra cog at the expense of making the freehub wider. When they went to 9 and 10 they kept the 8 spd width but made everything narrower. Same thing with 11. So 9-10 and 11 spd chains all have unique widths and attachment pins/install links.

10 speed chains work on 9 spd setups as a 'B' compatibility when the chain is entirely 10spd. Using a 9spd quick link or install pin is a recipe for sending your man parts into your stem.

As a general rule it's a bad idea to re join a modern chain with a factory installed pin. That method worked fine 15 years ago, but it's not a good idea with chains of today.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    You're wrong all the way around.

7 and 8spd chains are the same width and interchangable. The chain and cog spacing stayed the same, they just added an extra cog at the expense of making the freehub wider. When they went to 9 and 10 they kept the 8 spd width but made everything narrower. Same thing with 11. So 9-10 and 11 spd chains all have unique widths and attachment pins/install links.

10 speed chains work on 9 spd setups as a 'B' compatibility when the chain is entirely 10spd. Using a 9spd quick link or install pin is a recipe for sending your man parts into your stem.

As a general rule it's a bad idea to re join a modern chain with a factory installed pin. That method worked fine 15 years ago, but it's not a good idea with chains of today.
    everything he said!!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Tyvm customfab!