Site Owner

Recommendations. Tough heavy duty rear mech for 7/8 speed old school freewheel

As in title, i need some help choosing a new rear mech. Weight is not an issue so something fail safe and compatible with a shimano revoshift twist grip shifter. The bike will be used on tough terrain with all mountain suspension frame and dh forks.

7/8/9 speed compatible

Any experiences or recommendations please.

Andrew
    Land of Our Fathers. Wales U.K

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Something like an 9 speed RD-M662 SLX shadow RD would do the job - they are on offer at Chain reaction cycles at the moment. Pretty stiff spring, low profile and hard wearing.

Site Owner
    Thanks will take a look now.

Site Owner
    Also, long, medium, short? What difference will it make and why are there differing lengths?

Site Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
    Also, long, medium, short? What difference will it make and why are there differing lengths?

I have just seen the sticky on this topic, apologies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Shimano megarange derailers are the only ones that work the old cog sets. DSC02620 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

Site Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by zerodish View Post
    Shimano megarange derailers are the only ones that work the old cog sets. DSC02620 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    I am afraid that is not true. But if you happen to stumble upon a megarange freewheel with a 11tooth end cog please let me know

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zerodish View Post
    If you put a custom 40T Chain ring on as a rear cassette sprocket then all bets are off as to what RD works
    Using a standard 7/8 speed Shimano Megarange freewheel you can pretty much use any 7/8/9 speed RD you want as long as:
    • the cassette sprockets match the shifter indexes
    • the shifter cable pull matches the RD.

My kids 24" bike has a 7 speed Shimano MR cassette and SRAM twisties a 9 speed SRAM X7 RD works perfectly well with it after the X3 broke. I've used low end Alivio 8 speed as a temp replacement RD on XTR/Xt 9 speed drive train - It is only Dynasis which has buggered all this up